|Classification:||Cave Church Cave House|
|Light:||not necessary/bring torch|
|Last update:||$Date: 2011/12/13 08:48:34 $|
|1596||cave first mentioned.|
|1680||first chapel built.|
|~1900||second chapel built.|
|1951||third chapel built.|
The Liboriusklause is a small cave in sandstone located north of Echternacherbrück, right below the Liborius-Kapelle (Liborius Chapel). It was first mentioned as a hermitage in 1596. Since then it has been in use as an hermitage over centuries, with some pauses. This ended in 1783 when all contemplative orders were abolished.
The rocks at the cave are porous sandstones with a very high amount of limestone, of up to 80%. The groundwater inside the porous limestone and the surface water both influenced the erosion of the sandstone. Its limestone content was eroded and later deposited. The parts of the rock which are richer in liemstone were more easily dissolved and thus faster eroded. The results were tubular caves. This small cave also offers a nice view into the Sauer valley and on Echternach, and so it was a fine location for a hermitage. During the centuries of its use, the cave was modified by the monks in various ways. Today there are three different room, cut into the rock, connected by staircases, and even with a window. The door frames are walled, and there is a stoup cut into the rock. Even a small garden and a vineyard belong to the hermitage and allowed at least a partly self-support.
Above the cave on the top of the plateau lies the Liborius-Kapelle (Liborius Chapel). The first chapel was built in 1680 and dedicated to Saint Liborius, a helper with rock related deseases, eg. nephroliths. At the beginning of the 20th century the chapel was ramshackle and was replaced by a second chapel. At the end of World War II this chapel was destroyed. Todays chapel is the third one on this place, built in 1951. From the chapel there is a comfortable path to the hermitage below.
|Main Index | Germany | Eifel|