|Image: the impressive cave entrance.|
|Location:||A3 exit Höchstadt-Ost, A9 exit Pegnitz, A73 exit Forchheim-Süd. Pottenstein lies at the B470 between Forchheim and Pegnitz, 43km from Forchheim, 10km from Pegnitz, 40km N Nürnberg. (58,Mc50)|
Palm Sunday Weekend to early NOV daily 9-17, last tour 16:30.
NOV to Palm Sunday Weekend Sun 11-15, tours at 11, 12:20, 13:40, 15.
Closed 24-DEC, 25-DEC.
Adults EUR 4.50, Children (4-15) EUR 2.50, Families (2+2) EUR 12.
Groups (15+): Adults EUR 3.80, Children (4-15) EUR 2.
Reductions with Erlebnispaß and Kurkarte.
|Classification:||Karst cave, cave system, Dolomite|
|Dimension:||L=1,500m. GR: L=60m, B=18m, H=15m.|
|Guided tours:||L=1,500m, D=45min., V=160,000/a .|
|Photography:||Allowed, no tripod, no flash, private use only|
|Accessibility:||Narrow passages and staircases, not accessible.|
A. Sieghardt (1964):
|Address:||Zweckverband Teufelshöhle, Forchheimer Straße 1, 91278 Pottenstein, Tel: +49-9243-208, Fax: +49-9243-7018840.|
|Last update:||$Date: 2012/05/07 08:00:11 $|
|1901||first survey by Albert Neischl.|
|1922||discovery of new parts by Hans Brand.|
|1922 bis 1931||development as an show cave and electric light installed.|
|1949||discovery of diluvial animal bones by Georg Brunner in a cleft.|
|Image: Kaiser Barbarossa (Emperor Barbarossa).|
The imposant, 13m wide, 11m high and 80m deep portal in the walls of the Weiherbachtal (Weiherbach valley) is known for a very long time. It was called Teufelsloch (Devils hole) by the locals. Only about 100m were accessible at this time. The discovery of new parts increased the cave length to 1,500m.
|Image: the romantic cave exit.|
The cave entrance is known for long, and numerous visitors from near and far visited the beautiful site. At the end of the 19th century the cave was completely damaged, no dripstones remained and the bones in the cave sediments were removed almost completely.
The show cave of today was discovered 1922 by Hans Brand behind the long known entrance. The new parts contained several huge halls with beautiful speleothems and numerous bones. Most of the bones were from cave bears (Ursus spelaeus).
The paleontologist Max Schlosser reconstructed the skeleton of a cave bear, which is now on display in the cave. Remains of human origin were not found.
After the discovery, Hans Brand developed the cave as a show cave, which meant an enormous work. The first hall of the tour shows a small display of mining machinery, which was used to develop the cave, among them lores and drills. The character of the cave is typical for the local dolomite karst: huge chambers and narrow connections. In order to connect the halls with paths of suitable size, numerous tunnels were driven into the rock. The result is the longest cave tour in Germany, about 1,500m long, with about half of the distance being artificial tunnels.
The bggest chamber is called Riesensaal (Giants chamber) with a length of 30m and a width of 16m. The most interesting stalagtes are the Barbarossa and the crucifixion, three larger stalagmites sourrounded by smaller once, symolizing the people.
But the biggest sight of the cave is outside and freely accessible. The portal of the cave, the cave cafe, numerous small caves and abris all around, and the cave exit itself. From the cave exit the path leads through a labyrinth of strange looking rocks back to the cave entrance.
|Main Index | Germany | Süddeutsche Schichtstufenlandschaft | Fränkischen Alb|