|Location:||Teyjat, town square.|
JUL to AUG Sat 10-17.
Booking and tickets at the Grotte de Font-de-Gaume
Adults EUR 3, Children (0-17) free, Reduced EUR 2.50, Students (18-25) from the EU free, Disabled free, Unemployed free.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 2.80.
|Guided tours:||D=15min, max 5 Persons.|
Hall d'accueil de Font-de-Gaume, 4 avenue des Grottes, 24620 Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, Tel: +33-553-068600, Fax: +33-553-352618
La Grotte de Teyjat, 24300 Teyjat, Tél: +33-553-068600/+33-553-564773, Fax: +33-553-352618.
|Last update:||$Date: 2011/12/13 08:53:39 $|
|1903||first paintings discovered by Pierre Bourrinet and Denis Peyrony.|
|1910||declared a Monument Historique.|
|1913||cave developed, cave door installed.|
|1929||end of the excavations.|
The Grotte de Teyjat (Cave of Teyat) is also called Grotte de la Mairie (Town Hall Cave), because it is located close to the town hall of the village Tayat. It was known for a long time, but in 1889 a first excavation was made. The paintings were discovered in 1903 by Pierre Bourrinet, the teacher of Teyat, and Denis Peyrony. A few years later the cave was declared a Monument Historique and finally in 1913 the cave was closed with a door to protect it.
The rock art in this cave is very young, only 10,000 years old from the end of the Würm Ice Age. 48 figures of animals show great abilities of the artist, which is generally attributed to the young age. Obviously this theory implicates, that there was not only the sporadic artistic genius, but an organized art school. The displayed animals are mostly reindeers (10) and horses (10). But there are also three bears.
200m to the east is another important excavation site, which is called Abri Mège. Excavations revealed numerous items, beneath flint tools there were needles, scissors, and ivory sticks with enigmatic engravings. Many items are on display in the small museum which was created by the village and the Monuments Nationaux. It was named espace muséographique Pierre Bourrinet (Museum Pierre Bourrinet) after the teacher who discovered the engravings. The museum is located inside the town hall.
|Main Index | France | Aquitaine|