|Location:||Liverpool, Smithdown Lane.|
JAN to MAR Tue-Wed after appointment, Thu-Sun 10-17, last tour 16.
APR to SEP Tue-Sun, Hol 10-18, last tour 17.
OCT to DEC Tue-Wed after appointment, Thu-Sun 10-17, last tour 16.
Half-term school holidays daily 10-17, last tour 16.
Adults GBP 4, Children (5-18) GBP 2,50, Children (0-5) free, Concessions GBP 3.50, Family GBP 12.
Groups (10+): discounts, only after appointment.
Williamson Tunnels Heritage Centre, The Old Stableyard, Smithdown Lane, Liverpool, L7 3EE, Tel: +44-151-709-6868, Fax: +44-151-709-8156.
FoWT, 15-17 Chatham Place, Liverpool, L7 3HD E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|10-MAR-1769||Joseph Williamson born in Warrington, England.|
|1780||Joseph Williamson moves to Liverpool, finds work at tobacco and snuff firm of Richard Tate.|
|1802||marries Richard Tate's daughter, Elizabeth Tate.|
|1803||buys the firm and builds his mansions in Edge Hill.|
|1815||Napoleonic Wars end, employs former soldiers for tunneling.|
|1822||Elizabeth Tate dies and he concentrates on the tunnels.|
|01-MAY-1840||Joseph Williamson dies.|
|1840s||tunnels used to dump rubbish.|
|1860s||rotting waste covered by demolition rubble and ash from local factories.|
|1989||Joseph Williamson Society founded.|
|30-JUN-1996||Joseph Williamson Society incorporated as a private limited company.|
|25-APR-1997||Joseph Williamson Society acquires charitable status.|
|2002||Williamson Tunnels Heritage Centre created by the Joseph Williamson Society, tunnels excavated.|
Williamson's Tunnels are located in the center of Liverpool, in an area bordered by Mason Street, Grinfield Street, Smithdown Lane and Paddington. They are named after Joseph Williamson who built them. An although they have some size and are pretty well built, we have no idea why he built them. Being rather wealthy as owner of a tobacco company, he started building the tunnels around 1815, but intensified his work after the death of his wife in 1822.
He sold his tobacco company with great profit and used his money to built houses and terraced gardens in the Edge Hill. The location was very good and so many wealthy people wanted to live there. But the houses were eccentric, with enormous cellars and useless tunnels beneath. Some houses had multi leveled cellers, others had cellars to store 200t of coal. And then he connected the cellars with tunnels.
There are different oppinions on the reasons for those underground structures. Some say he was just excentric, and he loved to tunnel. Others say the Edge Hill area was a quarry before he started to develop it for his buildings. As a result he had numerous huge pits, which he secured by building walls in front of the rock faces and stabilized them with multilayered brick arches. The result were huge underground vaults which provided the stability for the basements of the buildings.
All the tunneling ended immediately, when Williamson died in 1840. The tunnels were now used to dump rubbish, but unfortunately the rotting material was smelling very bad. After about 20 years the smell had become so annoying, the waste had to be buried. Inert material like demolition rubble and ash from local factories was used to conceal the rotting waste. But the tons of material also filled the tunnels and made them inaccessible.
Some years ago a part of the tunnel system was excavated and cleaned, a new Visitors Centre called Williamson Tunnels Heritage Centre was created by the Joseph Williamson Society. A small part of the caves was cleand, the content archaeologically examined and the tunnels developed for public inspection. The entrance building has an impressive architecture with an all glass front and the view on an eccentric tunnel entrance with an arched floor made of bricks. Rather funny is the fact that visitors are equipped with hard hats, probably more for the entertainment of the visitors than for security reasons. We recommend warm clothes and good shoes for the tour.