|Location:||Near the town of Majadanpeka, in eastern Serbia. 120km from the Belgrade - Nis motorway and 200km from Belgrade.|
|Open:||APR to OCT daily 9-18.|
|Dimension:||L=2,304m, T=8°, H=100%.|
|Guided tours:||D=60min., L=1,410m.|
Dr Radenko Lazaravic (1983):
|Address:||Information: Majadanpeka Tourist Office, Tel: +381-308635.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:58:10 $|
|1894||explored by J Cvijic|
|1974||explored by R Lazarevic who developed the cave for tourists.|
|1975||cave opened for visitors|
The cave is the source of the Mali Pek River and the river can be seen in most of the lower series. The upper, dry level is the exit for the tourist route.
The cave is named after a national hero called Rajk who lived in the area during a period of Turkish rule. Legend has is that Rajk used the cave to hide treasure from the Turks.
From the entrance the visitors walk beside the Rajk River to the second entrance. After crossing the Brkin Bridge which is 44 m long, they arrive in the Jezevu Hall where there are over a thousand stalactites. From here the tourist route wanders past various speleothems including: The Egyptian Idol, Puz, Panjs pucurkama, Mecka koja spava, Duhovi, Paradni slon, Karfioli, Plast sena, Rakijski kazan etc until one finally reaches the Dvorane vodopada or Waterfall Hall. From here a tunnel links with the Ponor Cave, or the pothole section. The passage passes close to an underground dam, built in 1860 by the French to provide a water supply.
Arriving at the Rajk is like entering the mouth of hell, with the noise and fog of falling water, the visitors turn to make their way out of the cave via a dry horizontal passage, through Hedgehog Hall to daylight. On the way out they pass through Veliku dvoranu or Great Hall, which is 50 m long 20 m wide and 20 m high. From here a short tunnel connects dry horizontal passage to the river cave via Kristalana dvoranu or Crystal Hall, so called because of the snow-white formations to be found here. The main formations are Drvo zivota, Velikomucenik, Kristalni grad, Tri gracije, Glava secera, Devojacke grudi, and Kapel plodnosti. This part of the cave contains the best speleothems in all of Serbia. It is full of sparkling white crystals, whilst for a length of more than 300 m the cave floor is composed of red stalactite gours 1 m deep.
Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.
|Main Index | Serbia|