|Location:||Burra. 170 km northeast of Adelaide. East of the Stuart Highway to Alice Springs, off the Barrier Highway to Broken Hill and Sydney.|
|Open:||July and October school holidays daily 13-15. Rest of year Tue-Thu 13-15, Sat, Sun, Hol 13-16. |
|Fee:||Adults AUD 5 Children AUD 3, Family AUD 10. |
|Address:||Bon Accord Mine Complex, Railway Terrace, 2 Market Square, Burra, South Australia, 5417, Tel: +61-8-8892-2154.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1846||mining at Bon Accord started.|
|1859||mine captains cottage built.|
|1879||pumphouse used for water supply of Burra.|
The Bon Accord Mine Complex is one of numerous mining related sites at Burra. It is a mining museum concerned with preserving and exhibiting items depicting the story of Burra and district. The highlicht is probably a six metre by five metre model of the Burra Mine depicting traditional underground mining in 1860. On display is a working forge with a selection of forging tools used to repair mine equipment.
In the old waterworks building is a former mine shaft from which Burra pumped its water supply until 1966. The pumphouse was completed in 1855. From 1879 to 1966 the site supplied water to the town. Inside is an exhibition on the history of the ill-fated Bon Accord Mine.
The displays illustrate the history of the Burra copper mine. There are documents on the working and living conditions of its miners.
The Bon Accord Mine Complex is owned and administered by the National Trust, Burra branch. The National Trust operates a 1859 mine captains cottage on site as self-contained, bed and breakfast accommodation.