156 Throssell Street, Collie.
200 km south of Perth, 60 km east of Bunbury. From Bunbury Highway 20 towards Perth, between Burekup and Roelands turn east on highway 107 to Collie. Located at the main road through town.
All year Mon-Fri 10:30, 12:30, 14:30, Sat, Sun, Hol 10:30, 12:30.
Adults AUD 15, Children (5–16) AUD 10, Children (0-4) free, Seniors AUD 12, Families (2+3) AUD 40.
|Classification:||Coal Mine Replica Underground Mine|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided|
156 Throssell Street, Collie WA 6225, Tel: +61-8-9734-2051.
Coalfields Museum and Historical Research Centre, 161 Throssell St, Collie WA 6225, Tel: +61-418-792962. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1983||Replica Mine constructed by the Collie Rotary Club.|
The Replica Underground Coal Mine Experience is located at the Collie Visitor Centre. It is an exhibition which shows a realistic coal mine tunnel, with dummies of miners at work, handling typical machinery. The exhibition shows how the mine was worked during the 1950s, the heyday of the local coal mines. It was created by the Collie Rotary Club to commemorate the centenary of the discovery of coal.
Really weird is the fact that they offer self-guided tours at certain times only. Obviously it is not allowed to just walk through the exhibition without guide, as there are three or two tours daily. But we have no idea who actually guides a self-guided tour?
The city also has a coal mining museum called Coalfields Museum, which is on the other side of the road. The museum is located in the historic buildings of the 1900 and 1930 Road Board offices. It seems it is only marginally a mining museum, despite the name, as most items are local history stuff, like a restored barrel organ from Italy or old refrigerators. But there is also some mining equipment and Lynch’s Rock and Mineral display- It's probably a good idea to visit both sites.
The actual coal mines are a series of huge open casts, east of the city. There is an Coalfields Mine Lookout at highway 107. Beneath the view there is also a huge decommissioned coal excavator to see.
The town Collie was named after Dr Alexander Collie, a physician on the HMS Sulphur. Captain Stirling made an expedition to the Swan River colony in 1829.