Underground Mining Museum Pernik

Подземният минен музей

Useful Information

Location: pl. "Sveti Ivan Rilski" 1, 2300 Tsentar, Pernik, Bulgarien.
(42.609536, 23.029250)
Open: All year daily 9-16.
Tours Mon-Fri every half hour, Sat, Sun, Hol every hour on the full hour.
Fee: Adults BGN 5, Students BGN 2, Seniors BGN 2.
English tour: Adults BGN 10.
Classification: MineCoal Mine
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours: български - Bulgarian English
Address: Underground Mining Museum, pl. "Sveti Ivan Rilski" 1, 2300 Tsentar, Pernik, Tel: +359-76-603-737.
Reservation, +359-882-990-222. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1891 mine opened.
1953 City Museum established.
1957 first exhibition opened.
1959 became the Regional National Museum.
1966 mine cloased.
1968 became the Regional Historical Museum Pernik, administrative and structural changes.
1973 Historical Museum exposition opened.
1978 museum renovated.


The Подземният минен музей (Underground Mining Museum) is located inside two former mine tunnels. In 30 stops the history of coal mining, from manual extraction, over mine carts pulled by horses to the modern mining machinery is presented. The mining museum is part of the Pernik Regional History Museum, which is distributed on several building in the huge park. The tunnels are also used for events on occasion, for example there has been a fashion show a few years ago. But as the space is very limited it depends on the size of the event.