Otto Bilges et al. (1987):
Die Lichter sind erloschen - Über den historischen Bergbau im Landkreis Peine,
Doris Bode Verlag, Haltern 1987, ISBN 3-925094-07-5.
Rainer Slotta (1986): Technische Denkmäler in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Band 5, Teil 1: Der Eisenerzbergbau, Deutsches Bergbaumuseum, Bochum 1986. ()
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1824-1825||First unsuccessful smelting experiments documented.|
|1860||fisrt written mention of open cast mining.|
|17-NOV-1872||property purchased by the Ilseder Hütte.|
This is a rather strange site, and it is actually not a show mine. There is no underground tour, not even a mining museum. Actually there is very little except a story and a movie. But lets start at the beginning.
The Eisenerzgrube Lengede-Broistedt (iron mine at Lengede-Broistedt) is an iron mine located at the small village Lengede. First unsuccessful smelting experiments are documented from 1824-1825. There was an open cast mine around 1860, probably wild mining by local farmers even earlier. Modern mining started with the purchase of the area by the Ilseder Hütte from Julius Lüchau, a merchant from Hannover. They started systematic mining and after they had removed the soil manually, the mining increased to 15,000t in 1877.