From Marienberg follow main road to Lauta, on the left after 500 m. B174 exit Marienberg-Lauta, at the road to Marienberg right.
All year Tue-Sun, Hol 10:30-16:30.
During the school holidays in Saxonia also Mondays.
Tours Tue-Fri 13, 14:30, Sat, Sun, Hol, school holidays daily 11, 13, 14:30.
Tour with horses: Sat, Sun, Hol 13, 14:30.
Closed 24-DEC, 31-DEC.
|Fee:||Adults EUR 3, Children (0-16) free, Pupils EUR 2.50, Students EUR 2.50, Apprentices EUR 2.50. Show without horses: Adults EUR 4, Children (0-16) free, Pupils EUR 3, Students EUR 3, Apprentices EUR 3. Show with horses: Adults EUR 5.50, Children (0-16) free, Pupils EUR 4.50, Students EUR 4.50, Apprentices EUR 4.50. Underground tour: Adults EUR 3. |
|Classification:||Silver Mine Fluorite Mine Uranium Mine|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided. Underground: VR=20 m, MinAge=6, Max=15.|
|Address:||Pferdegöpel auf dem Rudolphschacht, Lautaer Hauptstraße 12, 09496 Marienberg/OT Lauta, Tel: +49-3735-608968, Fax: +49-3735-660372. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1838||horse engine built.|
|1877||horse engine abandoned.|
|JUN-2006||restored horse engine opened to the public.|
|2008||Bergschmiede (mine smithy) opened to the public.|
The Pferdegöpel (horse engine, horse mill) is a wooden structure powered by horses, which was used to transport the ore up the Rudolphschacht (Rudolph shaft) from the mine. It is the central exhibit of this show mine. But there are several other things to see. There is an exhibition Bergbau im Marienberger Revier (mining in the Marienberg area) with exhibits and explanations to the silver, fluorite, and uranium mining. The entrance building is visitor center and ticket office and has an exhibition with the mechanischer Berg (mechanical mountain) created by the artist Kurt Meier from Marienberg. A documentary movie on the reconstruction of the horse engine can also be seen.
The horse engine was abandoned in 1877 and as it was of wood, it was destroyed almost completely. The whole structure was reconstructed and is working again since June 2006. In 2008 the Bergschmiede (mine smithy) was added, the reconstruction af a historic example. The structure can be visited on self-guided tours, and there are explanatory signs with schematics and historical background. There are also guided tours, where you can ask additional questions, and on weekends there are horses which operate the engine. Obviously it is not as grim as during its operation, the horses only demonstarte the function for a short time, and there is no real weight lifted from the mine. There is the forge and the anvil, and machinery like a screw press or a drilling machine. On special occasions the machinery is demonstrated by a blacksmith.
There is actually an underground tour, the Rudolphschacht below the horse engine is accessible to a depth of 20 m. The construction and manner of operation of the horse engine is explained on those guided tours.