|Location:||Wichernsweg 16, Hamburg Hamm. On the grouns of the Wichernkirche (Wichern church). Subway U3 station Rauhes Haus.|
All year Thu 10-12, 15-18, last entry 17:15.
Adults EUR 3, Children (0-12) EUR 1,50.
Guided tours after appointment for groups.
Groups (-20): EUR 75.
Groups (21-30): EUR 100, School pupils EUR 2, minimum EUR 25.
|Classification:||World War II Bunker|
|Dimension:||Four tubes with L=17m, H=2,25m, W=2m.|
Bunkermuseum, Wichernsweg 16, 20537 Hamburg.
Stadtteilarchiv Hamm, Tel: +49-40-181514-93, Fax: +49-40-181514-94. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|APR-1940 to APR-1941||Bunker built.|
|1995||start of renovation.|
|01-OCT-1997||museum opened to the public.|
The Bunkermuseum is located in a so called Vier-Röhren-Bunker (four tube bunker). This is a bunker which has four parallel tubes. The bunker was renovated and transformed into a museum by the Stadtteilarchiv Hamm (Record office of Hamm District).
You enter the bunker through a small building on the grounds of the Wichernkirche (Wichern church) in Hamm, which is a quarter of Hamburg. A staircase leads down to a gas-proof airlock. The tubes are 17m long, 2,25m high and 2m wide, and have a 1m thick concrete wall. The floor of the bunker is about 5m below surface. The bunker had electricity, but the ventilation machines were driven by hand. Each tube seated 50 persons.
In Hamburg many similar bunkers exist, but this is the only one accessible. The other ones are filled with ground water now.
The first tube contains an exhibition with photos and texts describing the development of the quarter Hamm. The whole history of the former village Hamm which became a suburb and later a quarter of Hamburg, is illustrated. Another part of the exhibition shows the aftermath of German air raids on Holborn, quarter of London which is comparable to Hamm.
The second tube illustrates the construction of the bunker, the events of the years 1943, and is completed with sound recordings of eye-witnesses.
The third tube was completely reconstructed with original furniture. It contains also the original toilets, but they are not operative. The museum has no working toilets underground. The tubes had long benches on one side and storage space on the other side for the air raid luggage. There is a functional ventilation machine, a fire extinguisher and blankets from the Wehrmacht.
The fourth tube contains a number of exhibits which were donated by citizens of Hamm or found in other bunkers. Amongst them are gas masks, bunker lights and things of everyday life.