|Location:||La Romana Highway, La Romana. East of San Pedro de Macorís, at Boca del Soco. Follow the San Pedro de Macorís-La Romana Highway.|
All year Tue-Sun 9-17.
Cave: Adults USD 2.
Day trip: Adults USD 8.
|Guided tours:||L=240m, D=30min.|
|Accessibility:||yes, elevator and ramps|
La Romana Highway, La Romana, San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic.
Tropical Tours, Tel: 809-523-2028.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1949||cave paintings first published by Professor Francisco Richiez Acevedo.|
|2003||cave won the Gold prize in the International Landscape Architecture Bienal Award.|
Cueva de las Maravillas (Cave of Wonders) is one of the most famous show caves of the Dominical Republic. It is well developed with concrete paths and electric light, and the local authorities are eager to establish it as an important tourist site. Even a domestic airport of the same name was established in order to allow day tours to the cave by plane.
Unfortunately the rigorous development of the cave has been criticised as a great threat to the cave, as it was realized without care for the protection of the cave. Rather basic rules of careful development of caves as published by the US cave and karst protection organization and the International Union of Speleology (UIS) were ignored. Especially the archaeological deposits in the cave were destroyed by building paths, which could have been avoided by building elevated bridges.
This cave is rather small, but it is famous for at least 500 pictographs, petroglyphs, and engravings, which makes it the richest sample of rock art in the Antilles. They were discovered by professor Francisco Richiez Acevedo in 1949. When he published his findings he used the name Cave of Wonders, the cave was known before as Hagual. The cave is also beautiful with nice speleothems.