Estación de Chamberí

Useful Information

Location: Plaza Chamberí / Calle Santa Engracia.
(40.432275, -3.697730)
Open: All year Fri 16-20, Sat 10-14, 16-20, Sun 10-14.
Only after online reservation.
Fee: free.
Classification: SubterraneaUnderground Railway SubterraneaUnderground Museums
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours: D=30-40 min, Max=25.
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: yes
Address: Museum of the Old Chamberí Metro Station, Plaza de Chamberí, s/n, 28010 Madrid, Tel: +34-900-444-404.
Museos Metro de Madrid, Tel: +34-644-169-531. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1919 Chamberí station inaugurated.
1961 extension of the trains from 4 to 6 cars planned.
22-MAY-1966 metro station abandoned.
1998 filming location for Barrio by Fernando Leónde Aranoa.


Estación de Chamberí is the most spectacular of numerous underground museums which are related to the Madrid Metro. They are called Andén Cero (Platform Zero) and are managed by Museos Metro de Madrid (Madrid Metro Museums). The station was part of Line 1 of the Madrid Metro, which was opened in 1919. inaugurated with the extension from Atocha to Puente de Vallecas. In 1961, the Compañía Metropolitana decided to increase the length of the trains from 4 to 6 wagons. As a result it was necessary to increase the length of the platforms from 60 m to 90 m. But it was not possible to change this station, so it was decided to close it down. When the updates were completed and the new trains were finally inaugurated, the station was closed.

The design of the station is from Antonio Palacios who designed many parts of the Metro. He opted for a very simple functional solution. The lobby has natural light through a skylight. The station walls are coated with white ceramic tiles with ornaments. The abutments were decorated with large squares of Sevillian tiles in ocher and blue. Between them are huge advertising signs, which are preserved since the 1920 and are one of the highlights of the station. To make the station accessible for people with disabilities the architects Pau Soler and Miguel Rodríguez installed appropriate accessibility measures.