22 Rte du Moulin, 69690 Brussieu.
APR to AUG 1st Sun 15-18, only after appointment.
SEP Heritage Days 15-18.
Adults EUR 2, Children (0-12) free, Residents of Brussieu free.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 1.50.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided, Max=20.|
Maison de la Mine d’Argent de Jacques Cœur, 22 Rte du Moulin, 69690 Brussieu.
Maison du Tourisme, Tel: +33-474-70-90-64.
Mairie, 69690 Brussieu, Tel: +33-474-70-85-19. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1388||mines acquired by Hugues Jossard, a lawyer from Lyon, beginn of mining.|
|18th century||end of mining.|
|1980||archaeological excavations each summer by Professor Paul Benoit from the Sorbonne.|
|06-JUN-2004||museum opened to the public.|
Maison de la Mine d’Argent de Jacques Cœur Brussieu (Silver Mine Museum Jacques Cœur in Brussieu) is a mining museum. It is located in the basement of a quite unspectacular building called Résidence de la Bascule in 22 Rte du Moulin in the small village Brussieu. Built into the hillside, the basement is reached at road level and so the museum is wheelchair-accessible. The museum is rather new, opened in 2004, as a result of archaeological excavations in the area. Professor Paul Benoit, specialist in metallurgical techniques of the Middle Ages at the Sorbonne, carried out excavations around the hill of Pampailly since 1980. Finally, he designed the museum, financed by the Town Hall with subsidies from the Region and the European Community. The main topic of the museum is the history of the silver mines at the Pampailly hill.
The mines were acquired by Hugues Jossard, a lawyer from Lyon, in 1388. He immediately started mining of the silver ore. Then the mines were purchased by Jacques Coeur, Grand Treasurer of the King of France after whom the museum was named. Then they were managed by Charles VII himself. Mining ended during the 18th century.
The museum explains the Medieval mining technology, the daily life of the miners, the numerous archaeological remains. There are minerals and ores, mining tools and machinery, models of stamp mills, interactive terminals, iconographic documents, and video projections. It seems to be a bit difficult to actually see the museum, open only once per month for 3 hours, it is nevertheless necessary to make an appointment. The Town Hall offers only those times for individuals, groups which organize a tour with the tourist office may visit all year long.