Maison du Mineur et des Énergies

Useful Information

Location: 24 Rue de Gaudu, 49230 Sèvremoine,
(47.097064, -1.186287)
Open: Currently closed to the public.
Fee: Adults EUR 6, Children (6-17) EUR 4, Children (0-5) free, Family (2+2) EUR 18.
Classification: MineUranium Mine
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours: self guided
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: yes
Address: Maison du Mineur et des Énergies, 22-24 Rue de Gaudu, 49230 St Crespin Sur Moine, Tel: +33-241-70-04-62. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


MAY-1952 uranium ore discovered.
JUN-1954 P1 shaft started.
1955 P1 shaft completed.
1956 P2 shaft completed.
1956 SIMO processing plant at the gates of the mine constructed, miner's city constructed.
SEP-1962 first open cast mining.
1984 last shaft closed.
1985 La Moine river diverted for new for open pit mine.
1989 open cast mine and underground mine closed.
1991 SIMO processing plant closed.
1991-1992 two Pic towers demolished.
1993 inauguration of the House of Nature and Hiking, managed by the association of Chemins crespinois.
1997 exhibition on mining created.
14-MAR-2009 House of Miners and Energies museum opened to the public.
SEP-2015 reopened after a major restructuring.
2022 museum closed.



The Maison du Mineur et des Énergies (House of Miners and Energies) is a museum of the uranium mining at St Crespin Sur Moine. That's the reason for the name, uranium was and is an important part of the French electrical power production. The building was erected in 1954 at the beginning of the mining operations, as the home of a foreman. The first museum in this building was named (House of Nature and Hiking), but it was renamed House of Miners and Energies when it was opened as a mining heritage museum on 14-MAR-2009. After 10 years of planing the museum underwent a major restructuring and was reopened in SEP-2015. It was supported by four non-profit organizations, the intercommunalité Moine et Sèvre (Moine et Sèvre intermunicipal association), the association la CICADELLE, the Pays des Mauges and the association les Chemins Crespinois. The museum has two employees, the teachers Marie-Josée Delépine and Roselyne Richard.

The Escarpière mine was operated between 1954 and 1989 and produced 4,109 tonnes of ore in this time. This made it one of the most important sites of the Vendée Mining Division. The record production of 50 tonnes in one month was recorded in March 1987.