Mines d’Argent de Wegscheid

Mine Reichenberg

Useful Information

Location: 31 B Rue Georges Pompidou, 68290 Wegscheid,
Wegscheid, Parc Naturel Régional des Ballons des Vosges.
(47.800584, 6.957250)
Open: Reservation required.
Fee: Adults EUR 8, Children (8-12) EUR 4, Children (0-7) free.
Classification: MineSilver Mine
Light: helmets and headlamps provided
Guided tours: D=2 h, L=1 km. Français - French
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography: Bernard Bohly (2019): Wegscheid (Haut-Rhin). Mine Reichenberg Archéologie médiévale, 49 | 2019, 366. DOI
Address: Reservation, Tel: +33-647-29-16-20.
Maison de la Terre de Haute Alsace, 35 Grand’Rue, 68780 Sentheim, Tel: +33-647-29-16-20. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


15th century mine opened.
1525 mine closed.
1568 mining resumed.
2016 excavations by Bernard Bohly started.


The polymetallic ores of the vallée de la Doller (Doller valley) contains mostly Pb, Cu, Ag. Silver was not the main metal, but due to its value the most rewarding.


Mines d’Argent de Wegscheid (Wegscheid Silver Mines) are visited on historical tours by the mining archaeology association «Les Trolls». Meeting point is at the Maison de Pays car park in Wegscheid. The Mine Reichenberg is currently the site of archaeological excavations. It was mined during the 15th and 16th century.

The polymetallic mines in the Doller valley have been exploited since the end of the 14th century. Companies from Basel and Strasbourg were in search of copper and silver for their monetary workshops. The most productive mine was Reichenberg (Rich Mountain), which exploited an inclined vein up to 60 m deep under the thalweg. The problem was as always the water in the mine. It was solved by a hydraulic pumping system mentioned in the archives as early as 1519. It was probably the first such system in the area, it became widespread in the area about 40 years later. The mine was closed and mining resumed in the last third of the 16th century.

The mine is located in the Soultzbach valley which branches off Doller valley to the north at Wegscheid. In the 16th century, the small valley was the most important mining sector in Alsace. The tours are guided by the archaeologists working at the site and include details of the current works. Two mine tunnel and surface excavations sites are visited.