|Location:||Oulches-la-Vallée-Foulon, Département Aisne.|
All year Tue-Sun 10-18.
Guided tours every 30 min.
|Address:||Caverne du Dragon, Chemin des Dames, 02160 Oulches-la-Vallée-Foulon, Tel: +33-323-251418, Fax: +33-323-251411. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1914||transformed into an underground fortress.|
|JUN-1917||partly occupied by the French army.|
|MAY-1918||reconquered by German army.|
|OCT-1918||finally under French control.|
|1999||opened to the public.|
The name Caverne du Dragon (Dragon Cave) is the French translation of the German name Drachenhöhle. It was given to this underground quarry by the German occupiers during World War II. In 1914 the Germans transformed the old quarry into an underground fortress with command posts, dormitories, hospitals, power station, and chapel. The fortress was the place of fierce fighting during the bataille du Chemin des Dames
A strange thing happened in June 1917, when French troops succeeded to occupy a part of it. They lived in one side of the fortress while the German troops lived in the other part, separated only by concrete walls. At the same time the battle on the surface went on. The fortress was recovered by the Germans in May 1918, but in October 1918 it finally came under French control.