Ouvrage du Four-à-Chaux

Four à Chaux de Lembach


Useful Information

Location: D65, 67510 Lembach.
(48.993896, 7.795720)
Open: French tours: JAN to MAR Sat, Sun 14:30.
APR daily 14, 16.
MAY to SEP daily 10, 14, 16.
OCT daily 14, 16.
NOV to DEC Sat, Sun 14:30.
German tours: JAN to MAR Sat, Sun 14:30.
APR daily 13:30, 15:30.
MAY to SEP daily 10:30, 13:30, 15:30.
OCT daily 13:30, 15:30.
NOV to DEC Sat, Sun 14:30.
[2022]
Fee: Adults EUR 8, Children (6-17) EUR 5, Children (0-5) free, Students EUR 6, Family (2+2) EUR 22.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 7, Children (6-17) EUR 4.
[2022]
Classification: SubterraneaWorld War II Bunker TopicLigne Maginot
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension: T=13 °C.
Guided tours: L=1.5 km, D=2 h.
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: yes
Bibliography:  
Address: Ouvrage du Four-à-Chaux, D65, 67510 Lembach, Tel: +33-388-94-48-62. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1930 begin of construction.
1935 construction completed.
20-SEP-1938 mobilization of fortress troops due to the Sudetenland crisis.
01-NOV-1938 after 10 days on maximum alert demobilization following the Munich agreements.
21-AUG-1939 after German threats against Poland again mobilization of fortress troops.
21-AUG-1939 France declares war on Germany after German attack on Poland.

Description

Ouvrage du Four-à-Chaux (Fort Limekiln) is a part of the Maginot Line, one of the 108 fortresses. It was named after a limekiln near the fortress which was used until 1939. During the war it was known by its codename A4. The middle-size fortress has six combat units, three of them artillery units. On an area of 26 ha 4,5 km of underground corridors were excavated which housed in total 600 soldiers, 240 artillery men, 180 infantry and 155 combat engineering. The Commanding Officer if the fort was Louis Exbrayat and he had 24 officers.

The site is visited on guided tours, which are offered in French and german.