Les Journées de la Rose

Useful Information

Location: Doué la Fontaine
Open: 11-JUL-2008 to 15-JUL-2008 daily 9:30-20.
Fee: Adults EUR 7.50, Children (12-16) EUR 3, Children (0-11) free.
Groups: Adults EUR 5.
Classification: SubterraneaRock Mine
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours:
Address: Office de tourisme de Doué la Fontaine, 49700 Doué la Fontaine, Tel: +33-241-592049. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1959 start of rose exhibition.


Doué la Fontaine is also called (city of roses). The reason are the culture and the production of roses and rosebushes, which are one of the main activities of the citizens. This started before the French Revolution, with the Baron Foullon, who loved roses and decorated his castle gardens with this flowers. So his village had to grow the roses for him. After the revolution the city continued to grow roses, which it does until today. It grows and sells more than 7 million rose bushes per year, of 500 different species.

Les Journées de la Rose is not a site, but the name of a rose exhibition. It takes place underground, in an abandoned quarry called the cellars of amphitheatre. The cathedral like chambers are an extraordinary an romantic setting for 100,000 buttons of roses, which draws 20,000 guests every year during five days.