Fort de Villey-le-Sec


Useful Information

Location: 7 Rue du 26éme RI, 54840 Villey-le-Sec.
(48.6612526, 5.9759006)
Open: MAY to 13-JUL Sun, Hol 15.
14-JUL to 15-AUG Tue-Sun 15-
16-AUG to SEP Sun, Hol 15.
[2023]
Fee: Adults EUR 8, Children (7-14) EUR 4, Children (0-6) free, Families (2+*) EUR 20.
Groups (+): Adults EUR 7.
[2023]
Classification: TopicRoute des Fortifications Européenes
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension:  
Guided tours:  
Photography: not allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography:  
Address: Fort de Villey-le-Sec, 7 Rue du 26éme RI, 54840 Villey-le-Sec, Tel: +33-603-15-49-92.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1874-1879 Séré de Rivières defensive system built on all the land borders to France as a result of the Franco-Prussian War of 1870.
1888 begin of modernization.
1904 completely remodeled.

Description

Fort de Villey-le-Sec is actually the whole city, a large fortification system which is a result of the French-Prussian War of 1870. The Séré de Rivières defensive system was built on all the land borders of France. The stronghold of Toul surrounded the existing village within a 3.5 km enclosure. There were four parts, which wer called reduction, north, south and redan battery. Villey-le-Sec was the only fortified village at the end of the 19th century. With 1,300 garrison men and 79 artillery pieces, the fort was one of the largest in France.

The fortifications are maintained and opened to the public by volunteers from the non-profit La Citadelle association. The open parts are one turret for machine guns and 2 turrets for 2.75 mm cannons. Then there is a 155 mm turret which weighs 200 t, the last example in the north of France. There are also concrete barracks and an interesting museum. On display is a Hotchkiss revolver cannon from 1879. The distant parts are connected by a narrow gauge train which was originally used to transport men and ammunition underground.