|Location:||Take the A59 trunk road that runs from the M6 at Junction 31 to Skipton. Then take the A56 trunk road to Earby. At the Old Grammar School, School Lane, Earby.|
24-MAR to OCT Wed, Sat, Sun 11-17.
|Fee:||Adults GBP 2.50, Children GBP 1, Senior Citizens GBP 2, Family GBP 6. |
|Classification:||Lead Mine, mining museum.|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Yorkshire Dales Mining Museum, Old Grammar School, School Lane, Earby, Barnoldswick, Lancashire BB18 6QF, Tel: +44-1282-841422. Bookings: Peter Hart, Tel: +44-1756-794713.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1945||Earby Mines Research Group formed within the Earby Pothole Club.|
|end 1960s||a considerable amount of material had accumulated.|
|22-MAY-1971||opened to the public.|
|2002||closed for renovation.|
The Museum is operated part time by members of the Earby Mines Research Group, and is one of the earliest museums devoted to mining. The exhibits include a waterwheel and a crusher, machinery and mine tubs, methods of lighting, samples of minerals, miners' personal belongings, plans and working models. It is housed in the old Grammar School which was vacated by the West Riding County Council in 1970.
The museum holds one of the most comprehensive collections of mining artefacts (over 700 items) in the northern Pennines.
Text by Tony Oldham (2001). With kind permission.
The Yorkshire Dales Mining Museum was reopened in 2006 after four years of renovation and refurbishment. Financed by the English Heritage, the Heritage Lottery fund, and the Pendle District Council, new interpretative displays were created. The museum is the work of the Earby Mines Research Group, and is administered by Earby Mines Research Group Museum Trust.