|Location:||Take the A 390 trunk road from Tavistock and turn left after 3 km. The mine is connect by a 800 metre long tramway to Morwellham Quay.|
|Open:||Open all year 10-17. Check opening times in Winter/Christmas period.|
|Fee:||Adults GBP 8.90, Seniors GBP 7.80, Children (5-16) GBP 6.20, Disabled GBP 3.70, Family: (2+2) GBP 27.20. Groups (10).|
|Classification:||Copper Mine, heritage center.|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=60 min.|
|Bibliography:||Anon (nd): Morwellham Quay, George and Charlotte Copper Mine, 6 A4 pages folded into 3 with photos, survey etc. Available from the Heritage Centre GBP 1.50|
|Address:||The Morwellham and Tamar Valley Trust, Morwellham Quay, Tavistock, Devon PL19 8JL, Tel: +44-1822-832766, Fax: +44-1822-832267, 24h-Infoline: +44-1822-833808. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1869||copper mine last worked.|
|1969||heritage centre opened.|
The port of Mowellham Quay is located on the River Tamar some 35 km inland from Plymouth breakwater. It was the ”richest Copper Port in Queen Victoria's Empire„. Vessels of up to 300 tons reached the port daily in the latter half of the last century, to take ore from the fabulous Devon Great Consuls Mine and others. Morwellham Quay is a heritage centre and was opened in 1969, as the first such centre in Britain. The tramway takes the visitor 460 meters into the George and Charlotte section of the Devon and Cornwall United Copper Mines. This compliments the docks, ships, canals, rail system, and social history displays throughout the extensive site.
Most visitors to Morwellham enjoy at least four to six hours on the site which offers a variety of shops illustrating various trades, museum, a restaurant and a tea room (check opening hours in winter months).
Text by Tony Oldham (2001). With kind permission.
Visitors board a little train at a station some distance from the mine and the train wends its way along the edge of the river to the first entrance at New Quay, so named as a quay and village were constructed here, later than the original quay to transport ore etc. Nothing remains of the village today and all that can be seen of the quay is a slipway into the river. The train takes the visitor 460 meters on a through trip into the George and Charlotte section of the Devon and Cornwall United Copper Mines. As the trip progresses the train stops so that the guide can give details of the mine, how it was worked etc. and this is illustrated by life sized models which are lit up appropriately. The highlight of the trip is the reconstructed working water wheel. The trip lasts about an hour.
Text by Anne and Christina Oldham (2006). With kind permission.