|Address:||Winding House, Cross Street, New Tredegar, Caerphilly, NP24 6EG, Tel: +44-1443-822666. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
The former winding house of the colliery in the small town New Tredegar is today a mining museum simply named Winding House. For those who are not aware: a winding house is where the wind for the mine elevator is located, typically a steel rope operated by a steam engine or later by an electric engine. In this case it is the original steam powered Victorian winding engine of the abandoned Elliot Colliery. The machinery is maintained by dedicated volunteers and run on special events, on the last Saturday of the month, and on Bank Holidays.
The museum is a modern glass-walled building which extends the winding house. It has exhibitions on the industrial history of the Rhymney Valley. This includes a collection of documents, photographs and objects illustrating day to day life at the height of the Industrial Revolution. There is also a coffee shop and a gift shop.