7 Stoney Street Lace Market, Nottingham NG1 1LG
All year Mon-Sat 12-1:30, Sun 12-23.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided|
|Address:||The Angel Microbrewery Cave, 7 Stoney Street Lace Market, Nottingham NG1 1LG, Tel: +44-115-948-3343. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1600||first pub named Old Angel Inn in the Lace Market area.|
|1676||building erected as two houses.|
|1744||Old Angel Inn first documented on a map.|
|1801||the chapel becomes a meeting point for the National Ancient Imperial Union of Odd Fellows.|
|1871||grand party hosted for the Official Ancient Order of the Druids.|
|1871||Robert Byron arrested for being drunk and disorderly after trying to perform a tightrope walk.|
|1878||buildings renovated by landlord W. Robinson.|
|1883||further changes by next landlord J Robinson.|
|1980s||rock pub, chapel used as gig room.|
|2016||microbrewery founded, renovated and renamed.|
|13-MAY-2016||registered as an Asset of Community Value.|
The Angel Microbrewery is the current name of the pub, which actually existed under the original name Old Angel Inn since 1600. However, there were different buildings, in 1600 it was in the Lace Market area, in the 19th century it was at the junction of High Pavement and St Mary’s Gate. The current building with that name was originally two houses which were erected around 1676. In 1878 W. Robinson was landlord and renovated the building, the next landlord J. Robinson did the same only five years later. Since then it is more or less in its current state. In the 1980s it developed a reputation as a rock and roll venue, many up and coming bands played here including Oasis, Kasabian and the Arctic Monkeys. The current venue exists since 2016, when it was renovated and reopened as The Angel Microbrewery. There is now a microbrewery which sells its beers in the pub, serving seasonal organic and ethically sourced food. While this actually does not sound very convincing, the menu is quite impressive.
The first floor of the building is called the chapel. It may have been used for religious services once, but actually it is a sort of event location sice centuries. It was a meeting point for the National Ancient Imperial Union of Odd Fellows. A grand party was hosted there for the Official Ancient Order of the Druids. There are some texts on the web, which talk about the underground chapel, which is wrong, the cellars were never used for events.
There are cellar below the modern beer cellar, which have the shape of a crucifix measureing 16 m x 16 m. The cellars have a barrel thrall so they once served for storing barrels, wither wine or beer. The were also used as an air raid shelter during World War II. The caves have no regular open hours, but they are open on special events.