|Location:||St. Jacques, near St. Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands|
|Open:||APR to OCT Thu, Sat 14-17.|
|Classification:||World War II Bunker|
German Naval Signals Headquarters, Pierre Renier, CIOS, Le Plechon, Camp du Roi, St. Sampsons, Guernsey, Channel Islands GY2 4XG, Tel: +44-1481-700418.
Channel Islands Occupation Society: Tel: +44-1481-57520.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Autumn 1943||work on the bunker began.|
|01-FEB-1944||the Seeko-Ki Bunker was operative.|
In the summer of 1942 the Headquarters of the German Naval Commander Channel Islands (Seeko-Ki) were established in Guernsey at the hotels La Collinette and La Porte Hotel. But as the radio communications were a vital part of all operations, the decision was taken to build permanent bunkers in the grounds of La Collinette Hotel. Work began in the Autumn of 1943 and the bunker was operative on 01-FEB-1944.
The bunker consists of two parts, the part which was built first is the so called M.N.O. Bunker. M.N.O. is the German abbreviation of Marine Nachrichten Offizier or Naval Signals Officer. The commander of the Signals Headquarters was Oberleutnant Willi Hagedorn. Seeko-Ki, the second part of the bunker, is linked by a short tunnel and was completed later, also a detched generator bunker.
The Headquarters handled all the important radio signals traffic for the German forces in the Channel Islands. They received and transmitted messages which were encrypted using Enigma enciphering machines. The callsign of the station was "Flu". The most important time of this installation was after the Allied landings in Normandy. However, at this time the Enigma encryption was already deciphered and the Germans gave important details of their strategy to the British Secret Service, which they believed to be absolutely secure.
Today the bunker is a museum which is completely equipped with radio, Enigma machines, two rare Siemens 12 rotor Geheimschreiber machines. But there are also a fully equipped bedroom, bath and toilet, which gives some idea how the Germans lived here.