La Vassalerie, Guernsey GY6 8XL.
APR Mon, Fri-Sun 10-16.
MAY to SEP daily 10-16.
OCT Mon, Fri-Sun 10-16.
Adults GBP 5, Children (2-14) GBP 2.50, Children (0-1) free.
|Classification:||World War II Bunker Atlantikwall|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||Ar=6,950 m², T=17 °C.|
|Address:||German Underground Hospital, La Vassalerie, St Andrew, Guernsey GY6 8XL, Tel: +44-1481-235261. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1941||begin of construction.|
|1943||converted into a casualty clearing station and emergency hospital.|
|2020||closed for major refurbishment.|
|AUG-2021||reopened to the public.|
The German Underground Hospital is the name of the modern museum, when the bunker was built it was named Hohlgangsanlage 40, abbreviated Ho40. This was a part of the fortifications built for the Atlantikwall. There are actually two sections, the German Underground Hospital (Ho.40) and Ammunition Store (Ho.7). Together they are the largest structural reminder of the German Occupation existing in the Channel Islands. This underground tunnels were built as shelters for large numbers of troops. There are two groups of nine parallel tunnels each, connected by two tunnels in a right angle.
The whole area covers 7,000 m² and 15,000 tons of concrete were needed to build this largest World War II construction in the Channel Islands. It was built by Forced labourers from the Organisation Todt of many nationalities, mostly Polish, French, Russian or Republican Spaniards, who were shipped in to Jersey. Their living conditions were terrible, with cases of malnutrition, death by exhaustion and disease. The Russian and Ukrainian POWs were treated the worst.
A little irritating is the fact that there are actually two sites which are called German Underground Hospital, one on Guernsey and one on Jersey. The other one on Jersey was opened with this name, but later renamed Jersey War Tunnels, as it included numerous exhibitions and the underground hospital had become only a small part of the museum. This site started as a small privately owned museum for which we noted twenty years ago "no attempt has been made to commercialise it as the more famous hospital in Jersey". It was first named German Military Underground Hospital (note the additional "Military" in the name) and it was operated by the Channel Islands Occupation Society. As a matter of fact this site is now the "new" German Underground Hospital. It is privately owned and operated by Gustav Limited in affiliation with Festung Guernsey.