Grotta dei Frati

Useful Information

Location: 62035 Fiastra MC.
(43.0748362, 13.2105452)
Open: no restrictions.
Fee: free.
Classification: SpeleologyKarst cave
Light: bring torch
Guided tours: self guided
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Address: Grotta dei Frati, Strada Provinciale 48 Fiastra, Monastero, Podalla, Fiastra, Macerata, Marche, 62035,
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1234 cave church built.


The Grotta dei Frati (Cave of the Friars, Cave of the Brothers) is a cave church located inside a natural cave on the northern side of the valley of the river Fiastrone. The river forms a narrow valley, at some poit its a slot canyon named Gole del Fiastrone. It is located at the border of two towns, while the cave belongs to Fiastra, the river gorge belongs to Cessapalombo. Both are actually not developed as a tourist site, nevertheless there trails leading through the gorge and to the cave. In other words, these sites are open to the public, and may be reached on nice half day hike. There are two starting points, one at the dam of Lago di fiastra, the other near Monastero village, which belongs to Cessapalombo. Follow the single lane road to the graveyard, or flollow the road further through the valley of

Grotta dei Frati was a cave hermitage. It was first used as a hermitage by Benedictine monks and then by Franciscans. The cave church in the largest cave was buit in 1234 dedicated to the hermit San Egidio.