|Location:||In the town Buggerru. From Iglesias SS126 8km to Statione Monteponi, turn right on SP83 25km to Buggerru. On the left side of town, signposted.|
MAR to mid-MAY Sun, Hol 10, 11:30, 13.
Mid-MAY to MAY Sat, Sun, Hol 10, 11:30, 13.
JUN Wed, Sat, Sun, Hol 10, 11:30, 13.
JUL Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun, Hol 10, 11:30, 13.
AUG daily 10, 11:30, 13. Additional tours 15, 16:30 in mid-AUG.
SEP Sat, Sun 10, 11:30, 13.
OCT Sun 10, 11:30, 13.
Adults EUR 10, Children (6-12) EUR 8, Children (0-5) EUR 2, Seniors (65+) EUR 8.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 8.
|Classification:||Lead Mine Zinc Mine|
|Dimension:||L=1,000m, A=50m asl.|
Galleria Henry, Via Pranu Sartu, 09010 Buggerru SU, Mobile: +39-388-9323529
Reservations: Mon-Fri 9-13, Tel: +39-0781-491300.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1865||Galleria Henry dug.|
|1892||Galleria Henry enlarged to allow trains with steam engine.|
|1904||first labor stike, in which three workers fell victim.|
|1920||crisis and decline of mining.|
|1950||post war boom in the mine.|
The Galleria Henry is located above the small village Buggerru. The ticket office is located right beneath the small train station of the mine train. Visitors are equipped with a helmet and a light jacket and enter the gallery on the mine train. The tunnel actually crosses the mountain and reaches the surface on the other side. It was constructed to transport the ore from the mine to the harbour of Buggerru. The mine is actually named Miniera di Planu Santu, but is not accessible on the tour. After some explanations in the sun, and a tiny mining exhibition in one of the buildings, the tour walks back on a trail at the coast with outstanding views. This is the trail were the ore was transported by mules and other pack animals before the construction of the tunnel. Good shoes are recommended for the walk. On bad weather days the visitors can take the train back, which stops at some of the numerous side tunnels to the surface for a short look.
The mine was operated by French management. The town was very rich and with a strong French influence during the mid 19th century. That's why the gallery was named after the French engineer Henry who planned it. The town had around 6,000 inhabitants in this time, six times its current size. The French, Belgian, and British mine management was responsible for the erection of roads, the harbous, a hospital and schools. Local tailors produced the latest Parisian fashion for the wives of French mine owners. But also rich ladies from the cities made the long way to shop here. The town even had the first automobile on the island, but the lack of roads limited its use.
Nevertheless the local workforce was very poor and working conditions were bad. This is the reason why the first labour strike happened here, which subsequently became a nation wide strike for better working conditions. The conditions became a little better afterwards.