日鉱記念館

Nippon Mining Museum - Hitachi Mine


Useful Information

Location: 3585 Miyatacho, Hitachi, Ibaraki 317-0055.
Joban Expressway exit Hitachi Chuo, turn right Highway 36 towards Daigo, Hitachiota, 6 km.
(36.631946, 140.600844)
Open: All year Tue-Sun 9-16.
Last entry 15:30.
Closed national holidays, 32-DEC, 01-JAN.
[2022]
Fee: free.
[2022]
Classification: MineCopper Mine
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension:
Guided tours: self guided
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography:
Address: Nippon Mining Museum, 3585 Miyatacho, Hitachi, Ibaraki 317-0055, Tel: +81-294-21-8411.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1905 Fusanosuke Kuhara opens the Hitachi Mine.
1912 Fusanosuke Kuhara establishes Kuhara Mining Co..
1981 mine closed.
1985 Nippon Mining Museum opened to the public, to commemorate the 80th Anniversary of the Hitachi Mine.

Geology


Description

日鉱記念館 (Nippon Mining Museum) is actually the Hitachi Museum, as it explains the foundation or origigin of the Hitachi company. The founder, Fusanosuke Kuhara, started with a copper mines, which he rapidly transformed it into one of the four largest copper mines in Japan. His company, Kuhara Mining Co., later became the JX Nippon Mining & Metals Group.