|Location:||Suruga bay, Nishi Izu.|
|Open:||All year daily 9-16:30. |
|Fee:||Adults JPY 800. |
|Guided tours:||self guided|
|Address:||Toi Kinzan, 2726 toi toi-cho tagata-gun sizuoka, Tel: +81-120-08-2726.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1370||mine under direct contorl of the Ashikaga shogunate.|
|1965||closed as mine was exhausted.|
|1972||opened to the public.|
The Toi Kinzan (Toi Gold Mine) was mined over centuries since the Middle Ages. Because of the hot spings in the area the temperature underground was rather hot, there was a hot spring even in side the mine. The workers were wearing only a sort of loincloth.
The mine tour is self guided and includes various outside buildings and a sort of underground museum. The mine tour is underground in an old tunnel, which is said to be 100km long. In a sort of dioramas life sized figures are shown in szenes of gold mining during the Edo era. Mining techniques, working conditions and the ore vein are shown.
The Golden Mansion contains an exhibition about the mined gold. The smelting and further use of the metal is shown, for example how early gold coins were casted. There are models of the mine surroundings and surface installations.
Finally at the Alluvial Gold Mansion the visitor has the possibility to pan gold. The first gold was found in the area as alluvial gold, the vein was eroded, the gold washed away and accumulated in pits in the rivers around. However, there is an additional fee for the gold panning. Back at the entrance building there is a restaurant and a gift shop.