Abukuma Cave

Useful Information

Location: Near Tamura-shi. Takine-tyo, Fukushima. 4 km from JR Banetsu East Line Kanmata Station. 10 km from Banetsu Expressway Ono IC.
Open: Mid-MAR to 20-JUN daily 8:30-17.
21-JUN to SEP 8:30-17:30.
OCT to 20-NOV 8:30-17.
21-NOV to mid-MAR daily 8:30-16:30.
Fee: Adults JPY 1,200, High School JPY 1,200, Junior High School JPY 800, Elementary School JPY 600.
Groups (15+): Adults JPY 1,000, High School JPY 650, Junior High School JPY 600, Elementary School JPY 500.
Discovery tour: Adults JPY 1,400, Junior High School JPY 1,000, Elementary School JPY 800.
Classification: SpeleologyKarst cave
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension: L=3.300 m, T=15 °C, H=90%.
Guided tours: L=600 m, D=40 min, ST=300.
Discovery tour: L=720 m, D=50 min.
Accessibility: no, too many steps
Bibliography: Katsuji Suzuki (1993): Abukuma Cave, Irimizu Limestone Cave, Takine Town, Suzuya
Address: Abukuma Cave Management Office, Tel: +81-247-78-2125, Fax: +81-241-78-2127. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


15-AUG-1969 discovered and named Kamayama Shonyu-do.
1970 survey by the Nihon University.
07-FEB-1971 designated a natural heritage.
01-JUN-1973 renamed Abukuma-do, developed and opened to the public.


Abukuma-do (Abukuma Cave) was originally named named Kamayama Shonyu-do when it was discovered in 1969. Only two years later the development started, and again two years later it was renamed and opened to the public. About 600 m of the 3,300 m long cave is developed. There is another part of the cave, 200 m of rather narrow and low passages, but with fine speleothems, which are guided on cave trekking tours. There are several speleothems, like the stalagmite called Christmas Tree and a column called the Silver Frost. The Christmas Tree is more than 2 m high, and the management the largest stalagmite in the East (concerning 70 m high stalagmites in China this seems a little strange). But most extraordinary are some areas with boxwork, a pretty rare speleothem looking like thin blades forming boxes. It is found in two other caves, but this is the only one which is open to the public.

Nearby is a second cave, Irimizu Shonyu-do (Irimizu Limestone Cave), which was discovered much earlier in 1927. It is a National Natural Treasure since 28-DEC-1934 and it is not developed. Cave Trekking tours are offered into this cave. There is one dry tour and two which require walking through the cave river.