Maastricht Kazematten

Maastricht Casemates

Useful Information

Location: Tours depart from the entrance to Waldeck Bastion, near Tongerseplein in Maastricht.
Open: All year Sat, Sun.
School Holidays daily.
Fee: Adults EUR 4.95, Children (3-18) EUR 3.95.
Groups (+): Adults EUR , Children (3-18) EUR .
Classification: SubterraneaCasemates
Light: petromax lamps
Dimension: L=14,000m
Guided tours: D=60min.
Address: Maastricht Kazematten, Tel: +31-43-3506262. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.



The Maastricht Kazematten (Casemats of Maastricht) are actually once again a result of limestone mining. The tunnels were actually created between 1575 and 1825 as a series of mine galleries on the western side of Maastricht. During the centuries the tunnels were used to approach and surprise the enemy from underground. Finally the limestone quarries were effectively converted into a military structure around Waldeck Bastion. The tunnels include bombproof areas, powder rooms, impressive stairways and walkways of all types. The tour starts at the entrance to Waldeck Bastion near Tongerseplein.