Southwest of Waitomo Caves.
From Auckland follow State Highway 1 south to Hamilton, then State Highway 3 south to Waitomo. Caves are signposted. 200 km south of Auckland, 70 km from Hamilton, 16 km from Otorohanga. 2 km from Waitomo Caves in Ruakuri Scenic Reserve.
All year Thu-Sun 10-15:30.
Check in 30 minutes early.
Adults NZD 79, Children (4-14) NZD 30, Children (0-3) free, Family (2+2) NZD 190.
Weekday: Adults NZD 63.20, Children (4-14) NZD 24.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Photography:||permitted in selected areas of the cave.|
|Accessibility:||fully wheelchair and pushchair accessible|
|Address:||Ruakuri Visitor Centre, 205 Tumutumu Road, Waitomo Caves 3985, Tel: +64-7-878-, Free: 0800-456-922. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|~1500||discovered by the Maori.|
|1904||opened to the public by James Holden.|
|1905||75 ha of land protected by the foundation of Ruakuri Caves Scenic Reserve.|
|1906-1908||39 ha of land added.|
|1987||First Black Water Rafting of New Zealand started.|
|1987||show cave closed as facilities required upgrading.|
|2000||Andy Serkis who played Gollum in Lord of the Rings spends time in the cave to get into character.|
|2003||Black Water Rafting Co. sold.|
|28-JUL-2005||cave reopened to the public.|
|2016||a photograph by Shaun Jeffers of the glowworms wins the National Geographic Photographer of the Year award.|
|2017||Katy Perry takes the Black Abyss tour while on her California Dreams Tour in New Zealand.|
The entrance hall of Ruakuri Cave was well known to the Maori for many years. The name is derived from an old Maori legend, that wild dogs inhabited the cave entrance. Rua means den, and kuri means dogs, so Ruakuri translates dogs den. The cave entrance was used as a resting place for the living, and a hollow high in the cliff above was used as a resting place for the dead.
The cave was opened to the public in 1904, one of the three show caves at Waitomo. It is the longest and most complex of all three caves. The original entrance was through the natural entrance, leading into a large chamber known as Holdens Cavern. It was named after James Holden who rediscovered the caves. More highlights of the tour are the Ghost Walk, the Bridal Chamber and the Mirror Pool.
In 1987 the cave was closed as a show cave, although the black water rafting continued. The reason was the poor state of the paths and light. During 2004 and 2005 the cave was restored, and 1,600 m of path with new bridges and walkways constructed. The new route is different from the old one and avoids the natural entrance with the sacred ground of the Maori burial place. It was opened in Juli 2005.
Next to the entrance of Ruakuri Cave start short bushwalks, leading to various natural bridges, canyons and several small caves. The pictures on this page show small caves on the trails. Gardner's Gut is an extensive cave system in the reserve, which is accessible only to cavers.