At the foot of the Homolje Mountain (Homoyske Mountains), in the Homoyske Planine.
Vicinity of the town of Kucevo, Eastern Serbia. 15km from Kucevo, 75km from the Belgrade-Nis motorway and 150km from Belgrade.
|Open:||APR to OCT daily 9-18.|
|Guided tours:||D=40min., L=431m.|
Dr Radenko Lazaravic (1980):
|Address:||Information: Tourist office of Kucevo, Tel: +381-12-52-265, Fax: +381-12-51-721.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1952||discovered by C Milic.|
|1953||explored by B Arspovic.|
|1962||First School of Speleology held here.|
|1965-69||studied by the Institution for Nature Protection and J Petrovic.|
|1976||explored by S Stajic, Z Radovanic, and B Basiljevic.|
|1978||explored by Dr Dr Radenko Lazaravic and the Valjevo Speleogical Group.|
|1980||opened to the public.|
It is a pothole and contains the Strugarski Potok (Little River). It was the second cave to open as a show cave in Serbia.
From the Motel the visitor descends into the Strugarski Potok canyon, following the underground course of the river to the largest chamber in the cave, The Arena, the most beautiful chamber in the whole of Serbia. The chamber is shaped like an amphitheatre, with a diametre of 40-50m. It is more than 20 m high and has a surface area of 1,293 cum. The Cupola is covered with white calcite, and hung with numerous long stalactites and draperies which are transparent. In the floor of the chamber is the 5 m high stalagmite called Lepa Vlajna, looking like a woman in the local national dress. Nearby are Mladozen and Drugovi, two joined columns. Some meters further on is group called Babuna, and nearby is the Waterfall. Large blocks which have fallen from the roof are named after the Veliki Krs, Mali Krs and Stol mountains. High in the chamber is a stalagmite called Na Vennoj Strazi (the Perpetual Guad), a column 75 m high representing two men, a medieval knight and a Serbian soldier from World War 1, symbolising the destiny and continuity of the battle for freedom.
From the Arena Chamber the visitors pass through the magnificent Dveri Chamber and come to the Ponorska Dvorana, the underground siphon of the Strugarski River. A high level passage leads back into Arena Chamber and then to the Andezitska Hall, with a well decorated ceiling. From here one retraces one's steps to Arena Chamber and then into Juzni Kanal or the Southern Channel, which is more recent and not so well decorated. A new exit has been made here, coming out about 100 meters from the cave entrance, tourists are thus able to make a round trip.
Other attractions include an Ethnographical Park, a Botanical Garden and a Gift Shop.
Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.