Skottvångs Gruva


Useful Information

Location: E20 exit Akers Styckebruk, through the village, turn left at gas station, 5km signposted.
Open:  
Fee:  
Classification: ExplainIron Mine ExplainLead Mine ExplainSilver Mine
Light: electric.
Dimension: VR=305m.
Guided tours:  
Photography:  
Accessibility:  
Bibliography:  
Address: Skottvångs Gruva, 64700 Mariefred, Tel: +46-158-32012, Fax: +46-158-32001. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

~1500 mine opened.
1920 mine closed.

Geology


Description

Skottvångs Gruva is a 16th century mine, which is today operated as a sort of resort. There is a show mine which may be visited on guided tours and a mining museum, located in an old mine building. The other buildings are part of the resort and include a restaurant, conference rooms, a garden with garden cafe in summer, Café Gruvstugan, and a function room which is used for concerts, theatre and family celebrations. There is also the possibility to take health treatments like massage.

The historic mine was primarly an iron mine. But other metals were also found in the ore. The iron was used for the production of canons, which were casted nearby at Akers Styckebruk.