Železna jama

Iron Cave

Useful Information

Location: Gorjuša 40, 1233 Dob.
Near Domžale and Krumperk Castle.
(46.136569, 14.637311)
Open: All year Sun 14-15.
Fee: Adults EUR 3, Children EUR 2.
Classification: SpeleologyKarst cave
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension: L=120 m, VR=23 m, A=334 m asl.
Guided tours: D=15 min, L=70 m.
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography: Tone Novak, Jožica Sambol, Franc Janžekovič (2004): Faunal dynamics in the Železna jama cave, in Acta carsologica, 2004, Volume 33, Issue 2
Dusan Petrovic (2009): 3D Model of Zelezna Jama Cave Generated from Laser Scanning Data and Geodetic Measurements, True-3D in Cartography, 1st International Conference on 3D Maps, August 24 - 28, 2009, Dresden, Germany
Address: Gostišce Jamarski, Gorjuši pri Domžalah, Gorjuša 40, 1233 Dob, Tel: +386-1-7241-577, Cell: +386-40-646-363. E-mail: E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1961 Društvo za raziskovanje jam Simon Robič Domžale (Simon Robič Speleological Society) founded.
1962 beginning of cave development.
01-SEP-1963 cave opened to the public.
1967/1968 excavation at Babja jama (Hag Cave).
1972/1973 excavation at Babja jama (Hag Cave) and connection to Železna jama opened by the members of the caving club.
1987 excavation at Babja jama (Hag Cave).
1992 collection of straw hat production added to the museum.


The Železna jama (Iron Cave) is said the most visited cave in Central Slovenia. That's true and a joke at the same time, because it's actually the only show cave in the area. The cave is rather small, only 70 m long, and it is open only once a week for an hour. And after visiting Slovenia every other year, we were not able to visit this cave so far, due to the really short open hours. It has two chambers called Prva dvorana (First Hall) and Druga dvorana (Second Hall). The natural entrance is a pothole, which has a horizontal passage at its foot.

It is open as a show cave since 1963 and to develop the cave an artificial entrance tunnel was dug. The cave is managed by the local caving club, the Društvo za raziskovanje jam Simon Robič Domžale (Simon Robič Speleological Society). The club was named after Simon Robič, a 19th century biospeleologist, who discovered a cave beetle which was named after him. He was the priest of the village Dob between 1856 and 1859, and researched the caves of the small karst area in this time. His collection of cave insects, butterflies, and snails is part of the small museum.

The Domžale–Moravče area is an isolated karst, a small patch of Cretaceous shell limestone of only a few square kilometres. It is located northeast of the Slovenian Capital Ljubljana. Nearby is a second cave, Babja jama (Hag Cave), which actually has a connection to Železna jama. Archaeological remains from this cave are on display at the cave museum. There were remains from prehistoric man, several fireplaces, charcoal residue and about two hundred blades, as well as bones of ancient cattle and wolf, beaver, alpine marmot and other animal teeth. The cave was used as a hideout repeatedly, for example during the 15th and 16th century when the Osman Empire invaded Slovenia.

The entrance building Jamarski dom (cave lodge) is also used as a restaurant, suitable for up to 200 guests. It is home to the speleothem collection of Franc Hohenwart, which originates in the 18th century and was donated by the Natural History Museum in Ljubljana. And finally there is an exhibition on straw-hat making in Domžale since the beginning of the 18th century. It was relocated from the nearby Krumperk Castle to prevent its decay.