|Location:||Hrabušice. From Rekreačne stredisko Košariská follow Prielom Hornádu valley to the turnoff. (48.950350, 20.422052)|
National Park Permit: One Day EUR 1.50, Three Days 3.50, Six days EUR 5.
|Dimension:||L=1,500 m, A=520-744 m asl..|
|Guided tours:||self guided, D=1 h.|
|Address:||Slovenský raj, Hlavná 171, 053 15 Hrabušice, Tel: +421-53-324-95-12, Tel: +421-917-800-133. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
Kláštorská Roklina (Monastery Gorge) is rather short but quite steep, an ascent of 220 m on only 1,500 m. A result are seven waterfalls on the route, which are climbed on ladders attached to the rock beneath the waterfall. The seven waterfalls are vodopád Objaviteľov (Discoverers' Waterfall, 11.5 m), Strakov vodopád (Anton Strak Waterfall, 13 m), Dúchový vodopád (Rainbow Waterfall, 8.5 m), Kaskady G. Nedobrého (Cascades of G. Nedobré, 3 m), Malý vodopád (Little Waterfall, 3 m), Machový vodopád (Mossy Waterfall, 6 m), Kartuziansky vodopád (Kartuzjan Falls), 4 m). Two were named after tourism pioneers Anton Strak, the author of guides to Slovakia, and Gustáv Nedobry, a teacher who promoted tourism in the area. To reach the gorge use the via ferrata of Przełom Hornadu. The trail starts in the middle of this valley, right behind the bridge, and branches off to the south. The gorge ends at the Kláštorská (Monastery), hence the name. The spring of the tributary is located right below the monastery. The tour through the shortest gorge is still a day trip, including Przełom Hornadu, the Kláštorská Roklina, and the way back on forest roads.
The Kláštorisko (Carthusian Monastery) is today a ruin. It was founded in 1299 by Carthusians and extended 1330. This location was called the Rock of Refuge, as people living in surrounding villages fled to this castle if necessary. The monastery was burned and destroyed. In the 15th century a chapel was built here. In the last years the ruins were restored by volunteers.
The gorge is developed with a trail and wooden ladders. They are quite narrow and mostly without railings, so surefootedness and no fear of height are mandatory. Also the trail is too narrow for two-way traffic, so it is only allowed to walk the gorge upstream. Make sure there is always only one person on the ladder. A via ferrata set is recommended, the route is rather difficult.