|In the center of the spa village of Lúčky, Ružomberok. From Ružomberok road 18 to Liptovský Michal, halfway exit Lúčky, in the centre right side of the road. (49.129754, 19.403198)
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|declared a national natural monument by the Ministry of Environment.
|Včelársky náučný chodník Lúčky (Lúčky beekeeping nature trail) opened.
Lúčansky vodopád (waterfall of Lúčky) is a result of hot springs, which is also the reason it never freezes in winter. Lúčky is a spa town at the foot of the Choč Hills, at the mouth of the Ráztočná valley to the Liptov basin. The old town is first mentioned in 1266. The upper town is a spa, which was established by the peasant Adam Turanský around 1800. In 1872 Ján Tholt purchased the run down spa from the state and renovated it. In the 1960s the spa was modernized and a new spa house built.
The reason for the spa is a number of hot springs with temperatures between 17 °C and 33 °C and a total yield of 30 l/s. They are caused by the Lučany fault which runs in NNW-SSE direction. The most prominent spring is Valentina which is accessible for the public in front of the spa. You can drink free mineral water or fill your bottle for free. The thermal water is very rich in limestone. The water deposited travertines around the spring, which fill the valley 40 m to 50 m high and form an escarpment at the southern end. As a result the Teplianka river with the water from the spring is flowing across the travertine, forming a series of flat rimstone pools with up to 40 cm high rims. The Lúčansky vodopád at the escarpment is a typical growing waterfall with a channel which is continually growing upwards and forward, by depositing limestone at the edge. That's why the waterfall is so spectacular. And there are more rimstone pools at its foot, where the Teplianka again has a moderate slope. The water has an intensive green and turquoise colour, especially when the sun shines on the water.
While the waterfall is the main sight there are numerous other interesting geotopes in the town. Spectacular outcrops of the Lučanské travertíny are Zápoly and Skaličky, the result of two quarries where the travertine was mined for local used and for export. The mining for export ended in the 1930s, and in 1963 mining was banned due to the risk of disturbing the groundwater. Around the waterfall the 150 m long Včelársky náučný chodník Lúčky (Lúčky beekeeping nature trail) was opened 2016. It is an easy walk and has information panels in Slovak and English. While it concentrates on beekeeping, it also explains the geology and history of the town. Another interesting source of background information is the museum Nad vodopadom right above the waterfall.