ถ้ำฤาษีสมบัติ

Tham Ruesi Sombat - Tham Sombat - Tham Phra


Useful Information

Location: Hwy 2001, Bung Nam Tao, Lom Sak District, Phetchabun 67110.
Khao Tham Phra, Ban Huai Lon. Ban Tham Sombat, Bung Namtao Sub-district, 36 kilometers from Phetchabun. From Phetchabun Highway No. 21, turn off at Km. 251-252, 6.5 km to the cave.
(16.691248, 101.137053)
Open: All year daily.
[2023]
Fee: free, donations welcome.
[2023]
Classification: SpeleologyKarst Cave SubterraneaSecret Bunker
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension: L=75 m, VR=5 m, A=243 m.
Guided tours:  
Photography:  
Accessibility:  
Bibliography:  
Address: Tham Ruesi Sombat, Hwy 2001, Bung Nam Tao, Lom Sak District, Phetchabun 67110.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History


Description

ถ้ำฤาษีสมบัติ (Tham Ruesi Sombat) is a natural cave, which was transformed into the treasury of Thailand during World War II. That's why it is called Tham Rue Si Simbat or Hermit’s Cave of Treasure. At this time Field Marshall Plaek Pibulsongkram was Prime Minister. The Ministry of Treasury, which was used as a place to collect the treasures of the country Siam, was located at the cave. Loads of gold was transferred from the Ministry of Finance in Bangkok to the cave. Here it was hidden from the Japanese army stationed in Thailand during the Greater East Asia War (Pacific War) in 1941-1945. Outside the cave, the remains of cannon gun forts exist, which were moved from Bangkok to protect the treasury. Later the cave was abandoned and the constructions inside removed.

Today the cave may be visited, but the treasures are not here any more. Only a few remains from its former use remain. A wall has been built across the entrance with a door which is usually unlocked. In the small entrance chamber is a Buddha and statues of hermits, as obligatory. There is electric light, but the number of lamps is rather small, so visitors are advised to bring their own lamps.