|Location:||Sequiota Park, Greene County. Near Springfield.|
Occasional boat tours USD 5.
|Address:||Sequiota Park Department, 3500 S. Lone Pine Ave, Springfield, Tel: 833-8647.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1840||several private owners.|
|1920||designated a Missouri State Park, used as a fish hatchery.|
|1959||fish hatchery relocated.|
|01-JUL-1969||became a part of the City of Springfield.|
Sequiota Park is a small park with three undeveloped caves which are open to the public. The main cave is called Fisher's Cave and is a river cave. It is rather big but difficult to explore because of the water. The second cave is Crawlway-all-the-way Cave, and as the name says it is pretty small and low. Walkway-all-the-way Cave is spacious, but very short.
Sequiota is an Indian name, Se-qui-o-ta meaning many springs, obviously a description of the numerous karst springs. The place was used once as the Kickapoo Prairie Indian gathering grounds. At the beginning of the 20th century it was a popular summer resort known as Fisher's Cave, the cave was a sort of show cave with public boat tours into the cave. In 1920 it became a State Park and was used as a fish hatchery for the State of Missouri. The hatchery was then removed to Table Rock Lake in 1959. The park became a part of the Springfield Park System in 1959 and it became a part of the growing City of Springfield on 01-JUL-1969.
Fisher's Cave was also known as Springdale Cave and Brashear's Cave. Some call now Sequiota Cave. It is a resurgence with an outflow of ground water of 220 to 500 l/s. The entrance portal is wide and low, but it is actually 2.4m high. With high water it is possible to enter the cave with a boat for about 400m. After 100m is the biggest chamber of the cave, 18m wide and 7m high. At 400m there is a waterfall. Afterwards the cave divides into an eastern and a northern branch. The eastern is waterfilled, but the northern may be visted. The total length of the cave is 600m and most of it is easy walk in ankle deep water. Wellingtons are obviously a good idea.
As for all undeveloped caves: be carefull when visiting it, take enough lamps and appropriate equipment with you. We recommend overall, Wellingtons, hard hat, headlamp and reserve lamp. Dry clothes to change afterwards. As this is a river cave be very careful and check the weather before entering. Avoid to visit the cave before or during rainfall.
During the summer there are sometimes guided tours by johnboats. They are offered by the parks department, which provides the boats, life jackets, lights and hard hats. The tours take place on sundays during the second half of September. This is a pretty comfortable way to visit the cave, visitors do not have to walk, will not get wet or dirty.