|Location:||On Arkansas Hwy 59, between Gravette and Sulphur Springs.|
|Open:||MAR Mon-Tue, Fri-Sun 10-17 (last tour). APR to MAY daily 9-18 (last tour). JUN to 15-SEP daily 9-19 (last tour). |
|Fee:||Adults USD 8.95, Children (4-12) USD 4.95. Groups (9+): |
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=60 min.|
|Bibliography:||David L. Harrison (1970): The World of American Caves, Reilly & Lee Books, a division of Henry Regnery Company, USA. 152 pp, 8 plates. pp 44-47.|
|Address:||Old Spanish Treasure Cave, 14290 N. Hwy. 59, Sulphur Springs, AR 72768, Tel: +1-1-479-787-6508|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1885||cave rediscovered by an old Spaniard from Madrid.|
|1930's||opened for the public.|
Old Spanish Treasure Cave was named after an old legend, which is told about this cave. More than 350 years ago Spanish Conquistador Soldiers hid a big treasure in this cave, before they were killed by native Indians. They could not tell anybody where the treasure was hidden and so it is still lost. Maybe it will be found some day by accident.
It is hard to believe, Spanish Conquistadors were in the Ozarks 350 years ago. The cave owners tell the treasure would be worth 40 Million Dollars. Arguments for the existence of the treasure are Spanish artefacts which are said to have been found in the cave, like helmets, armour, weapons, and gold coins. Also there is a legend, that the cave was rediscovered by a very old Spaniard in 1885.
Another part of the story is told by David L. Harrison (1970): In the 1880's an old miner moved to Joplin, Missouri. The old man, was seriously ill, and as he lay dying he gave his two friends one of his few possessions, a treasure map. The map showed a cave containing a rich load of silver and a small quantity of gold in the south-west part of the state. After two years searching without success, they gave up. In 1890 the map was published in a Webb City newspaper. Mr J J Mease and his friend H R Brewer started searching a rugged area of the Ozarks. In 1892 they finally discovered a collapsed cave entrance. According to the map two Spanish miners had died and were buried in the cave. A quick dig uncovered the two skeletons. The map was genuine. Discovering the treasure was more difficult. The map showed that the treasure was in the fourteenth room, but this room or the treasure were never found. Even today  cavers still search for the treasure. The cave is owned by Mr and Mrs James Reddin who operate it as a tourist attraction.