|Location:||Manchester, Siebert Park, Manchester Road/Louis Avenue. South of St. Loius.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1850||brewery at .|
|1850s||cave carved by hand.|
|1870||burnt down the second time and closed.|
|1979||cave and surrounding park donated to the city of Manchester by Joseph Siebert.|
Manchester Cave is a cliff face with a trapezoid cave entrance. The cave itself is a single huge chamber, with some debris on the floor. This is not a natural cave, but a cellar once used for storing beer. A brewery was built at this location in 1850, and in the following years the cellar was dug. The owners of the brewery changed frequently, and the brewery burnt down twice. The second time it burnt down in 1870, the brewery was closed.
During the civil war the local people were threatened by marauding soldiers. The soldiers forced the citizens to work for them, so many tried to hide. This cave was a popular hideout at this time.
The ground around the cellar, including the cellar, was owned by Joseph Siebert. He donated the land to the city of Manchester in 1979, who creathed a park named Siebert Park. Park and cellar are now open to the public.