Follow road from Teufenbach to Schloss Pux (signposted). Steep ascend without trail.
|Dimension:||A=900 m asl.|
|Guided tours:||self guided|
|Address:||Höhlenschoß Puxer Luegg, 8833 Teufenbach.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|12th century||castle built by the Lueger.|
|1181||first written mention of a Machward of Schallaun.|
|1416||after the death of Ulrich der Pranckher, his widow Anne and others became owners.|
|1436||a fief of the Counts of Cilli, and they enfeoffed Tristram Teufenbach with it.|
|1533||Georg von Teufenbach received the castle in fief from King Ferdinand I - combined with the obligation to guarantee the royal men free access to the castle.|
|1551||Franz und Bernhard von Teufenbach.|
|1586||Otto von Teufenbach.|
|1613||Rudolf Freiherr von Teufenbach.|
|1748||owned by Franz Gottlieb, Freiherr von Putterer.|
|1752||sold to the Archbishop of Salzburg.|
|1769||Carl Graf Lengheim.|
|1820||Alois Graf Trautmannsdorf.|
Puxer Luegg and Schallaun are two medieval cave castles in the Puxer Wand (Cliff of Pux). They are also called Puxerloch (Pux Hole). This limestone cliff is located north of the town Teufenbach in the Mur valley. It is the southern slope of the Pleschaitz mountain.
The road to Schloss Pux, the much younger successor, runs along the foot of the cliff. From here the cave castle can be easily seen. Climbing to the castle is not recommended because there is no official trail. It is necessary to climb the steep slope through trees and across almost vertical sections. The ascent requires physical fitness, surefootedness, and some practice in mountaineering. The castle is 100 m higher than the river Mur.
Schallaun is located 10 m west of Luegg, and was once connected with a wooden bridge. This bridge is long gone and the only way to the cave castle is to climb the vertical wall.
The cave castles were owned by the families Teufenbacher, Liechtensteiner, and Pranckh. According to local legend they were used by Raubrittern (marauding knights) and were cleared by Hungarian soldiers. Actually the castle was occupied by the Hungarians during the Hungarian War, and they were forced to leave in 1490. Much later during the 19th century the castle was used by robbers as a hideout, and when they were captured the castle was destroyed. Nevertheless, the Puxer Luegg castle was lived in until the 19th century. Today the cave castles and the château below are owned by the Pranckh family.
Charlemagne, the mighty ruler of the Frankish people, had fought the battle against the warlike Saxons and celebrated the feat with a sumptuous victory banquet.
Again and again, the favourite noble boy Charlot of Chalon had the king's cup filled to soothe the heated tempers.
The question was what was to become of the 30,000 captured Saxons, including the two daughters of the fallen Saxon king.
Both were entrusted to Charlot.
The nobleman took pity on the two daughters and left the glittering life at the Frankish court.
So he fled and discovered the rock cave in the Mur valley.
When the warlike times were over and Charlot of Chalon no longer had to fear treachery, he built the cave castle of Schallaun.
He married one of the two sisters and became the ancestor of a feared robber-knight dynasty.
P. Romuald Pramberger (1937): Burgsagen aus Steiermark, Seckau 1937, S. 55.