|Location:||At the northern side of Stans. A12 (E60) Salzburg-Innsbruck, exit Schwaz. Turn left on L215 to Stans, in the town center turn left to parking lot.|
MAY to OCT daily 9-16.
Adults EUR 5, Children (6-14) EUR 1.50, Children (0-5) free.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 3.50.
|Accessibility:||no, too steep, many stairs|
|Address:||Wolfsklamm, Am Rain 261, 6135 Stans.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|950||first written mention of the monastery.|
|1901||opened to the public.|
|2017||wooden outlook constructed above the big waterfall in the middle of the gorge.|
The Wolfsklamm (wolve's slot canyon) is the gorge of the Stallenbach. During thousands of years it cut deep into the rock. When the monastry St. Georgenberg was built above the the monks, they constructed a path up to the monastry. The shortest way was along the gorge. It was used by monks and pilgrims, and because of its beauty it became quite famous.
The trail was built by cutting a narrow ledge into the almost vertical cliff, about 10 m above the river. Today it is equipped with a wooden rail and wooden bridges. The upper end is a 12 m high wall, which was built to keep rocks and huge blocks from the mountainside to be washed into the gorge.
The monastery St. Georgenberg was erected on top of a limestone rock with vertical walls. It is accessible on a roofed wooden bridge named Hohe Brücke (high bridge). The construction was quite difficult, but according to a legend this was the best spot for the monastery. The monastery is quite old, it was first mentioned in 950. Before the current buildings, there was an hermit on the rock. It is the oldest pilgrimage destination in Austria.