70 km south of Wien (Vienna). Start at Payerbach/Werning. Follow geologic trail to the mine entrance, 10 minutes walk.
|Open:||18-MAY to 15-OCT Sat 15, 16, Sun, Hol 10, 11, 15, 16. |
Adults EUR 6, Children (0-15) EUR 3, Family (2+*) EUR 15.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 4.50, Children (0-15) EUR 2.50.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||L=4,000 m, T=8 °C.|
|Guided tours:||D=60 min.|
|Address:||Schaubergwerk am Grillenberg, Frau Dipl.Ing. Edith Schwaiger, 2650 Payerbach, Telefon 02666-52611. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|2000 BC||oldest traces of copper mining.|
|10th cty||first iron mining.|
|1791||first tunnel built by Innerberger Hauptgewerkschaft called Maria Schutz Stollen.|
|1840-1845||Ferrostollen on the lowest lever built.|
|1888||cable car for the transportation of the ore built.|
|World War I||reopened for war production.|
|World War II||reopened for war production.|
|1954||cable car destroyed.|
|1950||furnaced from the 12th century discovered.|
|22-MAR-1991||Stollentaufe: the collapsed entrance tunnel is reopened.|
|05-OCT-1992||inauguration by Landes-Hauptmann Siegfried Ludwig.|
|1991-1994||entrance tunnel ropened.|
|1994||opened to the public.|
The Grillenberg deposit is enclosed by greywacke, a thin band of sedimentary rocks from the Palaeozoic. The main ore was siderite, locally called Spateisenstein. It has a very high content of iron of about 55%.
Mining started at Payerbach, in the valley of the Rax, during the Bronce Age, when chalcopyrite was mined for its copper content. In historic times the first knwon activities were the creation of the Maria Schutz Stollen in 1791 by the Innerberger Hauptgewerkschaft. They reached the ore after only 15 m. This show mine is sometimes called Maria Schutzstollen because of this tunnel.
The mine is visited by foot, it is entered through the Erbstollen - Herlinde-Stollen named after Herlinde Ludwig, the wife of the former Landes-Hauptmann of Niederösterreich, Mag. Siegfried Ludwig. The first 33 m of this tunnel were collapsed after the mine was closed, and were reopened for the show mine.
This mine was reopened by the Geoschule Payerbach. They offer courses in mineralogy, geology and grinding of semi-precious gems.