Öblarner Kupferweg

Montanhistorischer Schaupfad Walchen


Useful Information

Location: At Öblarn, at the church in the Steinboutique (mineral shop).
Open: Öblarner Steinkeller (museum): All year after appointment.
Guided tours: JUN to SEP weather depending.
Trail: no restrictions.
[2007]
Fee: Öblarner Steinkeller (museum): Adults EUR 2, Children (0-5) free.
Adults EUR 16, Children (0-5) free, School Pupils EUR 8, Students EUR 8, Family (2+*) EUR 40.
Groups (11+): Adults EUR 15, School Pupils EUR 7, Students EUR 7.
Brochure EUR 5.
Classification: ExplainCopper Mine ExplainSilver Mine
Light: electric.
Dimension:  
Guided tours: Öblarner Steinkeller (museum): D=45min.
Trail: D=4-6h.
Photography:  
Accessibility:  
Bibliography:  
Address: Öblarner Kupferweg, Bergbauverein Öblarn, Öblarn 34, A-8960 Öblarn, Tel: +43-664-3900003, Tel: +43-664-1127428. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1565 Verweserhaus built.
1998 Bergbauverein Öblarn founded.

Description

The Öblarner Kupferweg (copper trail of Öblarn) is primarly a trail with many stations explaining all aspects of the local copper mining. This includes mining, preparation, melting and selling of copper. The trail has 14 stations, all connected to the local mining history. There are a museum, remains of the mining operation, and cultural stations like the miners chapel Johannes-Nepomuk-Kapelle.

The Verweserhaus is the first station of the trail. The Verweser was the manager of the mine, this is an old term but not a special mining term. This building was erected in 1565, and contains an exhibition in the cellar named Öblarner Steinkeller. On 130m² in an impressive cellar with 3.50m high vaults are exhibits, pictures, documents, tools from mining and smelting and much more.

The next stations include Kupferschmelzöfen (copper furnaces), a Silbertreibherd (silver furnace), Schwefelofen (sulfur ovens), and the Stampfer-Haus (crusher house). All those stations are accessible, except the museum, the Schwefelofen, and the mine. It is possible to buy a brochure at the shops, the tourist office, a restaurant or the mineral shop, which explains the trail. Then you may walk the trail without guide, and visit any stop except the three closed ones.

The Thaddäusstollen is the mine, where the copper ore was mined. It was a polymetallic ore and contained copper, sulfur, gold, and silver in changing amounts. The underground tunnel is visited on the guided walks only.