By car to Rindbach near Ebensee, the cave is located on the east slope of the Gasslkogl. There are various walking trails and forest roads anlong the Rindbach valley and the way to the cave is signposted. The official website offers GPS coordinates and track data to the cave. The walk to the cave takes 2.5 hours (uphill). There is also a shuttle bus which starts at the train station Ebensee Landungsplatz and takes 30 min one way, after appointment only. The Gassltropfsteinhöhle hut (1,200 m asl) is located at the cave entrance and offers shelter, food, and beverages.
MAY to mid-SEP Sat, Sun, Hol 9-16.
Adults EUR 9, Children (6-14) EUR 5, Children (0-5) free, ÖAV Members EUR 8, Cavers EUR 8, Salzkammergut-Card EUR 6, Bad Ischl Gästekarte EUR 6.
Groups (15+): Adults EUR 8.
Shuttlebus: Adults EUR 14, Children (0-14) EUR 7.
Combo Cave and Shuttle: Adults EUR 20.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System with generator|
|Dimension:||A=1,225 m asl., L=6,000 m, VR=150 m, T=6.5 °C.|
|Guided tours:||D=50 min., L=250 m. V=2,300/a [1973-1993]. V=1,600/a |
|Accessibility:||not wheelchair accessible, many stairs.|
Dr. Dietmar Kuffner:
59pp, 48 fig, EUR 2.50
Johannes Mattes (2012): Von Industriearbeitern, Soldaten und Höhlentouristen - Forschungsgeschichte und Beschreibung der Gassel-Tropfsteinhöhle bei Ebensee (Oberösterreich), Mitteilungen des Verbands der Deutschen Höhlen- und Karstforscher e.V.. 58, 2/2012, S. 40-48. () download pdf
|Address:||Verein für Höhlenkunde Ebensee, Obmann: Dr. Dietmar Kuffner, Reindlmühl 48, 4814 Neukirchen, Tel: +43-680-1127544. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|16-JUN-1918||first exploration of the cave by four men from Ebensee: Franz Pergar, Emil Hofinger, Johann Pollanschütz and Johann Reinbacher.|
|1924||a big expedition with eight members first descended into the 90 m deep Pergarshaft.|
|192?||first attempts to develop the cave for the public.|
|08-JUL-1931||declared a Naturdenkmal (natural monument) because of its special character and scientific significance.|
|06-AUG-1933||official inauguration of the show cave, Verein für Höhlenkunde Ebensee founded to maintain the cave.|
|1939||cave closed because of World War II.|
|1973||reopened after major restoration of the tour path.|
|02-NOV-1984||discoveries by Klaus Hüttner and Bill Eidson.|
|1986||biggest cave pearls of Austria discovered.|
|30-MAY-1987||Halle der Exzentriker (Helictites Chambers) discovered.|
|31-MAR-2007||Peter Fink, Dietmar Kuffner, Johannes Mattes, and Christian Schasching discover the Sintervulkanhalle (Sinter Volcano Chamber).|
|2007-2013||explorations by Johannes Mattes and Christian Schasching.|
The Gassel-Tropfsteinhöhle is located inside the Gasselkogel, a mountain near Ebensee. A cave visit takes a whole day, as it is necessary to walk to the cave. From the village Rindbach the ascent along the Rindbach valley takes about two hours. The tour is picturesque and includes a visit of the Rindbach waterfall. A hut called Gasselhütte, right at the cave, is a nice place for a meal and a beautiful view. And it is necessary to rest after nearly 800 m ascend.
For the lazy: in the summer months a shuttle bus shortens the walk to mere 30 minutes. It starts at Ebensee with a stop at Rindbach and it is necessary to prebook.
This cave is famous for its speleothems. Beneath normal stalactites and stalagmites, there are cave coral, helictites and rare cave pearls. Thousands of cave pearls in the Dome of Pearls have a diameter of 3 to 10 mm. There are also seven very big pearls, with the biggest one having a diameter of 38 mm. This is one of the biggest cave pearls ever found in Austria. Unfortunately for the visitor, fortunately for the speleothems: the most extraordinary speleothems are in the so-called new part which is not open to the public.
In the entrance region many bones were found, including the complete skeleton of a cave bear (Ursus spelaeus).
The cave consists of a series of halls and clefts which are unusually rich with speleothems. From the Entrance Hall one descends to the Bone Shaft and from there via the High Cleft to the so-called Pulpit Hall which offers an impressive view down into the abyss of the Pergar Hall and the Leopold Dome, a lower level of the cave which is not accessible.
Refreshments and accommodation are available at the hut when the cave is open.
Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.