|Location:||Near Kirchberg am Wechsel.|
|Open:||April-October, 1.5.-30.9 daily, April+October Sat,Sun,Hol, 9-17. Tours at 9:30, 11, 13:30, 15, 16:30.|
|Classification:||Karst cave Mesozoic limestone.|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||L=4,277 m, VR=78 m, T=7 °C, A=660 m asl.|
|Guided tours:||D=45 min., extended tour D=75 min.|
Hermannshöhle, A-2880 Kirchberg am Wechsel, Tel: +43-2641-2326
Mrs. Rößler, guide, Tel: +43-2641-6892
Hermannshöhlen-Forschungs- und Erhaltungsverein, Rudolf Zeller-Gasse 50-52/3/1, A-1238 Wien, Tel: +43-1/8873555
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1790||a small boy fell into the shaft called Teufelsloch while hunting pigeons.|
|23-JUN-1836||first exploration by the writer J. A. Krickel.|
|1838||report of the first exploration published.|
|1843||exploration, buy and development by Hermann Steiger von Amstein.|
|1844||sold to Freiherr von Dietrich.|
|1845||first description of the cave now called Hermannshöhle.|
|1869||book Der kundige Begleiter in der Hermannshöhle by Dr. R. Hellbach.|
|1871||new leaseholder R. Schlosser developed new parts of the cave.|
|1895||new leaseholder M. Donhauser, owner of the Restaurant Zur 1000jährigen Linde.|
|1922-1926||new parts found by cavers from Vienna.|
|1940||new parts, called Kyrlelabyrinth, found by two boys from Kirchberg.|
|1968||bought by the caving club Hermannshöhlen-Forschungs- und Erhaltungsverein.|
The Hermannshöhle has two natural entrances, one called Teufelsloch (Devils Hole) high on the Eulenberg and a second one on the east slope called Windloch (Wind Hole). 1790 a small boy fell into the shaft called Teufelsloch while hunting pigeons. After his rescue the Teufelsloch was also called Taubenloch (Pigeon Hole).
The first exploration of the Teufelsloch by the writer J. A. Krickel in 1836 was published two years later. He explains that he descended 66 Klafter (ca.125 m) into the shaft.
On the second exploration 1843 Hermann Steiger von Amstein, the custodian of castle Feistritz, found the link to the Windloch. He was very impressed by the cave, so he bought the whole area and the right to develop the cave. He started developing the cave immediately, but he didn't have enough money to complete it. 1844 he had to sell the cave to his employer, the owner of Burg Feistritz, Freiherrn Von Dietrich. But the name Hermannshöhle after Hermann Steiger survived.
The Eulenberg or Eigenberg (740 m) lies nortwest of Markt Kirchberg am Wechsel. On top of granites and slate lies a 1 x 2 km large area of slightly metamorphic Mesozoic limestones.
There are two different tours in the cave. The extended tour includes the Kyrle-Labyrinth, which is richly decorated with sinter formations.