|Location:||A1 (E55) exit 234 Gmunden, follow B145 through Gmunden, Bad Ischgl, and Bad Goisern. Behind Bad Goisern turn right onto 166 to Gosaumühle, turn left along Hallstatt lake through Hallstadt to Obertraun. Starting at the railway station Obertraun - Koppenbrüllerhöhle or the parking lot at the restaurant Koppenrast a track leads in 15 min to the cave. (47°34'7.29"N, 13°43'8.75"E) (Kat 1549/1)|
28-APR to 04-NOV daily 10-16
Kleine Abenteuerführung (short adventure tour): 07-JUL to 02-SEP daily 15.
Adults EUR 7.70, Children EUR 4.50, Family (2+2) EUR 18.90.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 7.20, School pupils EUR 4.50.
Kleine Abenteuerführung (short adventure tour): Adults EUR 19.90, Children EUR 17.30, School pupils EUR 14.10.
|Classification:||Karst cave River cave Karst Spring|
|Light:||Carbide Lamp and magnesium.|
|Dimension:||L=3944m, VR=107m, A=565m asl|
|Guided tours:||D=45min, L=565m. ( )|
Ing Hermann Bock et al. (1913):
Höhlen im Dachstein und ihre Bedeutung für die Geologie, Karsthydrographie und die Theorien über die Entstehung des Eises,
Dem Andenken weiland Prof Friedrich Simonys.
151 pp some fine sepia photos, illus, maps etc. HB
|Address:||Dachstein & Eishöhlen GmbH & CoKg, Winkl 34, 4831 Obertraun, Austria, Tel.:+43-6131-531-0, Fax: +43-6131-531-4800 E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1776||the deserter Franz Engl used this cave as hideout.|
|1820||mentioned in an early tourist guidbook about the Salzkammergut as "berühmte Schauhöhle" (famous show cave).|
|19th century||Friedrich Simony did some geological research in this cave.|
|1910||development of the cave, paths and begin of regular guided tours.|
|2007||start of renovation of all three caves by the Kunstuniversität Linz, Institut für Raum- und Designstrategie.|
The Koppenbrüllerhöhle lies between Sarstein and Koppengebirge, the northern foothills of the Dachsteinplateau. The cave entrance opens in the gorge of the Traun river. Depending on the weather a large karst source arises either from the cave portal or in the bed of the brook below. The cave river turns into a roaring stream when the snow melts, in spring or after heavy rains have fallen.
In the times of the Austro Hungarian Empire, during the reign of Kaiserin Maria Theresia, a deserter from the Austrian army named Franz Engl used this cave as hideout. He could see people entering the cave without being seen himself by simply looking at the reflection of the entrance in the water. Of course, this phenomenon can still be observed today! His dear wife Josefa, called Hofer Sef, brought him food, until eventually got very sick. He cared for her, but finally she died. So he asked the priest to come to the cave and give her the sacrament. The priest was so moved by this tragedy, he asked for amnesty for Franz Engl which was given.
This is how the cave got its name: Brüller comes from the German word brüllen (shout, roar), and the spring is roaring at high water. The other part, Koppen is derived from the mountain chain it is located at, the Koppengebirge (Koppen mountains). So you could translate the name as the roaring cave at the Koppen mountains. However, the name is rather old and even a local would need some time to take it apart this way.
A small artifical tunnel allows the visit independent of water level. The visitor sees a number of huge halls and tunnels. The Hannakluft, the last hall of the tour, has a different character. At this location the subterranean brook makes a dull roar.
The cave was explored rather early, during the 19th century. The famous naturalist Dr. Friedrich Simony, who explored primarly the Dachstein area, made scientific studies in the cave. He wrote letters to famous In the cave the blind cave beetle Arctaphaenops angulipennis Meixner was found for the first time, so it became type locale for this troglobiont.