Useful Information

Location: Räsch, 3186 Düdingen.

(46.833160, 7.152893)
Open: APR daily 9-18.
MAY to SEP daily 9-20.
OCT daily 9-18.
Fee: free, donations welcome.
Guide SFR 100.
Classification: SubterraneaWorld War II Bunker SubterraneaSecret Bunker
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension: L=120 m.
Guided tours: self guided
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Address: Magdalena-Einsiedelei, Räsch, 3186 Düdingen.
Katholische Pfarrei Düdingen, Pfarramtssekretariat, Tel: +41-26-492-96-20. E-mail:
Düdingen Tourismus, 3186 Düdingen, Tel. +41-26-493-03-03. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1448 Hermitage first mentioned.
1609 a hermit carved two cells out of the rock and spent 30 years there.
08-JUL-1691 Felsenkapelle consecrated in honor of St. Mary Magdalene by Bishop Pierre de Montenach.
2005-2006 extensive restoration of the site.


The Magdalena-Einsiedelei (Magdalena Hermitage) is carved into the rock walls above the Schiffenen reservoir. As the artificial lake did not reach the caves, they were originally high above the valley floor. There is a rock face which faces south and contains various caverns with a total length of 120 meters. Although first mentioned in the 15th century, it was mainly the hermit Johan Dupré and his assistant Johann Liecht who contributed to the design of the room at the end of the 17th century. At that time the Felsenkapelle (Chapel of the Rocks) was consecrated in honor of St. Mary Magdalene by Bishop Pierre de Montenach. The parish of Düdingen is the owner of the hermitage, which carried out extensive restoration of the site on 2005 and 2006.